Advice on fiberglass tilt front end for '47 Chevy Aerosedan on '84 S-10 chassis? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
~the law

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Advice on fiberglass tilt front end for '47 Chevy Aerosedan on '84 S-10 chassis?

OKay so looking for some imput and experience here.

The car is a1947 Chevrolet 2dr aerosedan on 84' S-10 chassis, i plan to hide 500ci caddy under the hood. Currently the body is just sitting on the frame, haven't got around to manufacturing brackets, the frame as been shortened 2 inches at the factory welds and so far just tacked together. Anyway, in a perfect world, I would buy a tilt hinge kit for a 84 s-10 and build a aluminum frame to support the fenders and hood which come as separate pieces from Superior Glass Works. Then with a fiber glass patch kit or 5 attach the three pieces together. Am i getting to ambitious for a first time hotrodder fresh outta high school?

~the law

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

NEVER !!!! The sky is the limit...being young and full of ideas is how we advance the industry to where it is ...Some of us started out chopping tops and didnt even know how to use bondo properly yet...never put limitations on yourself and if someone sells it ...you can make it...THATS the law...
Now, post some pics of this beauty...and we'll show you how we tilted our noses...for free...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
~the law

Last photo:

Here are some pics of trial fit on the S-10 frame prior to the two inch chop at the factory welds. The front body mounts now sit just about perfect on the frame. With the new frame and all, no matter what I do i will be making some brackets to hold the front clip in place. I just don't know where to start for a tilt front end. I am also wondering if 1600 dollars plus a bunch for cross US border shipping is really worth the weight i might save with fiberglass from the current Chev fenders and hood i have. Below I have the link to the sight with the fiberglass panels. What i can't seem to find is a S-10 tilt kit without the fiberglass front clip. Thanks for the motivation!

http://www.superiorglassworks.com/19...-products.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1684.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	47006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1678.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	556.7 KB
ID:	47007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	647.9 KB
ID:	47008  
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
~the law

Last photo:

Possible hindrance.... the fender extensions are bolted on to the door, tilting of the actual fender may cause a problem?

Last edited by iamthelaw; 07-28-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 AM

Well it looks like you most everything you need ....A nice car a good shop and plenty of young guys to help out with some heavy lifting and a ton of ideas....

I understand the excitement of a new build and all the ideas you have of what you want to do ,it makes it a little hard to sleep at night....But your getting a little ahead of yourself...

First you have to mock everything up to see what will work, so get the body sitting on the frame right,the front looks pretty good but the back looks like the trunk floor is hitting the rear frame rails...SO....First you should decide if you want to channel or "body drop" the body over the frame...Personally thats what I would do...then the rear end looks a little to far forward so do you have any wiggle room to move it back or do you need to rework the rear section of the frame???If you have to cut and weld a new rear frame section you can make it so you dont have to channel it ....On mine I refabed the rear frame AND dropped the body.....It's all personal preference...

So when you get the body fitted (not bolted) to the frame and all looks good you should mount the doors to set the gaps (this way you can monitor any unwanted body movement like flexing and make sure everything will fit later on down the road then make some out riggers to mount the body to the frame ....
Set the body square to the frame and bolt the fenders on "loosely" (not the hood yet) you should have enough wiggle room to center the nose square to the frame ,...Now you'll need to raise or lower the front of the nose to set it to the rest of the car.....Set the hood on and see how everything fits and make your minor adjustments (keeping in mind this is a mock up just to get everything close and find most of the obstacles you'll be running into....

When you finish setting it all up take the hood off and make a frame for the fenders to bolt too out of round or square tube. I made my own hinges out of scrap angle and some round stock (for the pins) I had laying around for the trial fit but what ever you use you want them as far forward and as low as you can get them... so instead of mounting them on top of the frame rail you may want to mount them on the bottom and make a groove in the frame for them to move back and forth....This stuff really isn't to hard but takes a lot of patience and trial and error to get it right just keep in mind if you want it to work you can MAKE it work with a little thinking and a little help ... Randy "new interiors" is another guy that has done a lot of tilt noses plus many guys that I dont know of ,but theres to be plenty of help here and good advice for an interesting project like this....sorry for the long story but I barely scratched he surface ,at least you have a few things to mull over...
Heres a few old pics of the POS I'm building just in case you start feeling it cant ever be done .....IT CAN...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0133 (Small).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	47014   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0140 (Small).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	47015   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4012 (Small).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	47016   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5220 (Small).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	47017   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5230 (Small).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	47018  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-29-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 AM

One more thing keep your young helpers around because when you feel like your loosing the excitement their excitment and williness to help geter done will inspire you.....I have a few young,energetic helpers too just waiting to get a ride in it and everytime they come over they want to go out and help even when I'm tired they get me going...............

BTW, What is it about girls and hotrods???????? Do they go hand in hand or what?????? My helpers cant lift much , aside from my sprits that is. but they're getting bigger every day....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3052 (Small).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	47019   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3054 (Small).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	47020   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3308 (Small).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	47021   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3402 (Small).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	47022   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3310 (Small).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	47023  

Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
~the law

Last photo:

Good observations! I'm just trying to figure out whats involved in a tilt front end, cost, who makes a good hinge kit.

The frame rails actually hit at the start of the back seat. I was planning on channeling but first, I have to install my 9 inch rear end and find some ford rims, the s-10 is just too narrow and the body would rest right on the tires. At the back 2-3 inches will have to come off to make it fit, unless i mount the body a little further back. That way I could sit the motor and tranny a little further back as well.

The trunk lid is on and the doors were put on for transport and are held on with one hinge each. A previous rodder lost the pins for the other two hinges. The frame rails are still a little long but not quite as much after the frame was shorten two inches to get the wheelbase down to 116.

Those pictures were at the school shop, I have been outta there since the end of June. So now I am working in a tent in my back yard; the buddies are still around though! As for girls, my girlfriend seems to be into firebirds, and one of my buddies has two! a mint 81 formula 301 with the turbo and a original smokie and the bandit project car he's building with a 350, i may be in trouble haha!

You have given me lots to think about! I never mind reading long replies, especially when they are full of good and interesting stuff!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelaw
Good observations! I'm just trying to figure out whats involved in a tilt front end, cost, who makes a good hinge kit.
Making the hinges is the easiest part... very simple.all the parts you'll need can be got on the cheap at the salvage yards (where you'll get some more ideas)
As far as the girlfriend goes you wont have much time or money for her so let your friend steal her ,if thats how she is just go out and rent a new one and steal her back as many times as you have to until the car is done then find a good girl that will help work on it and pay for beer...Trust me when I say this you'll go through a lot of girls but you'll keep the car ....

Start by putting the nose on before you drop the body over the frame...You want to center the front wheels with the wells to get a rough idea where it needs to be...brace the jambs after getting good door gaps then make sure to put an X brace going from door to door to keep the car from "racking"(going out of square)
Heres a few more pics to get some idea what you'll be running into...Heres the floor suports ,body mounts ,wheel wells and floor..everything is made from scratch with basic tools...keep in mind everything is drill screwed untill the last piece is done and that includes gas tank and air bag suspention...You'll need to put it together and take it apart quite a few times before your done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_6588 (Small).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	47060   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6618 (Small).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	47061   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6616.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	780.0 KB
ID:	47062   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6596 (Small).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	47063   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6630 (Small) (2).jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	47064  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Heres the main floor...If your some kind of sicko (like me) and this kind of torturous work looks like fun ,I'll keep going....its kinda fun going back in these old pics.maybe I can show you how I dropped the body or installed my air bag suspention,front and rear for less than 200.00 ...you really need a plan of everything you want because even with a plan everything changes as you go....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car4 (Small).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	47065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car11.jpg
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	47066   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5212 (Small).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	47067   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5906 (Small).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	47068   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7142 (Small) (3).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	47069  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-30-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM

When I set up my tilt it was before I dropped the body,after I dropped it the nose was 6" to high so I had to lower it which ment cutting up the frame I made for it , then the master cyl was to high andd I couldnt close the nose all the way ....things like this always happen just dont get frustrated its normal.Its all worth it in the end when you go around the block for the first time....Look close at the pic and you can see the nose is higher than the body,OOPs it always easier the second time around and you get better ideas.......Did I mention I did most of this car in my driveway?????? Do I have some good neighbors or what???? Oh ,and my wife....who parks her car on the lawn.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_6745.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	47070   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6714.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	47071  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
~the law

Last photo:

I would have gotten back sooner but i was outta town and my internet has been crashing lately. I'm not overly interested in air suspension for this ride but too see how you did it for only 200 sounds very interesting! I believe I am going to be dropping the just the back end of the car until the car is almost level cause of the kick in the frame l and larger back tires plan to make up the rest of the drop through the suspension. What you've said on dropping the body has really given me a good place to start! I still need to buy a grinder and a welder, can't use the schools if i'm not there anymore. As for the girl she pays for beer already she lives pretty far away so she's not around that much. So, so far so good! And I do have a picture of what i want in my mind, the tilt is just something i had never considered before. I think short term i'm gonna worry about getting it on the road, the tilts gonna be a a project for a long Canadian prairie winter when i can't drive the thing anyway! I have most of the main parts already, engine, tranny, diff, body, and frame just the fitting left! Thanks again! I think I am some kinda sicko like yourself, i spent two weeks, 2 hours a day sanding with coca cola and sanding sponges just to get the body down to bare metal.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 AM

Dry sanding with coca cola ?????? I hope the soda was for drinking..
you better get a sawzall and some metal cutting blades first ,its going to be your best friend for a while.Getting the car running first is what I do

The cost of the airbags was about 200.00 I made all my own brackets...saved about 1,500.00
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelaw
Possible hindrance.... the fender extensions are bolted on to the door, tilting of the actual fender may cause a problem?
Looks a lot like my 46 fleetliner....thats a lotta nose...The Japanese could build a whole car with that much steel....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jul16$03.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	47264  
Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 AM
~the law

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Dry sanding with coca cola ?????? I hope the soda was for drinking..
actually it was for wet sanding, it seems to work 3x better then water and is 5x cheaper then rust remover and you can use less of it. So a dollar bottle verses 10-15 for the same amount of rust remover seems like a good deal. I still used rust remover to pull the pitted rust out before some self etching primer the coke also made the sanding sponges go further as well. On the just the shell saved 30-40 dollars on materials using coca cola. i was sure to rinse it off everyday to keep from attracting the flies.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
~the law

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Looks a lot like my 46 fleetliner....thats a lotta nose...The Japanese could build a whole car with that much steel....
that would be the car! how much did you pick yours up for if you don't mind me asking? and what are your plans for it?

Here is something i should have posted earlier! I had just forgotten about it and haven't updated it since February but there a few pictures and a bit of a write up on where it was at from when i started to february.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.