Hot Rod Forum banner

Advice needed: Nova vs. Chevelle

52K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  busterwivell 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Hopefully this is posted in the proper area, I am new here and thought this would be its respected place.

I am currently looking for a new project. I sold my first project about 2 years ago. It was a 1971 Nova and I already regret selling it.

I have found a few Chevelles that have sparked my interest. I know they have many similarities to the Nova and many differences. Are there any major differences that I may find difficult or to my advantage when owning a Chevelle vs. a Nova?

What is everyone's opinion on the two vehicles? Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
well just my preference, the biggest difference to me is the chevelle has a freme while the nova is a unibody. unibody cars may be fine but i prefer a car with an actual frame. i had a 66 ss396 chevelle back in the day, very nice power and easy to make it handle like a nascar with a few easy mods. i vote chevelle hands down.

#3 ·
I personally prefer the A-body cars (Olds 442s in my case) but be aware that the prices for A-body cars and parts have shot past the moon. A few examples seen at Carlisle this year: original bucket seats with rusty frames and some shreds of upholstery and foam remaining - $450. 12 bolt posi axle - $1200. Sandblasted and painted frame - $2600. Yes, these are asking prices, not necessarily selling prices, but you get my point. The Nova is ligher, equally plentiful, and has good parts availability. The 68-74 Novas share much with the first gen F-body cars also.

Besides, if you build an Nova, there's one less person competing with me for A-body parts... :D

#6 ·
I had both, a 66 ss 396 chevelle and I also had a 67 chevy 11 with a muncie 4 speed and the original 327 in which I put a brand new tri power setup on. I sold the nova last year for 14k.
The front suspension on the nova is a nightmare
The suspension on the chevelle was ok.
Either one is nice to have. ;)

#7 ·
Every once in a while, I go to ebay and type in....project car....
When that comes up with the list, I click the box for ......highest price first.....
Then I can go past the several pages of stupid prices and get down to the pages that are in my price range. Oftentimes there are some good deals there.
You might turn up the car of your choice close to home that way. Just a thought.

#11 ·
As an owner of both I cant really go either way. I find I like different things about both. Yeah the chevelles full frame has some advantages but if you dig hard enough you can find some good deals to go on that unibody. Chevelles are also gonna be more expensive due to the market like said above. I inherited the nova and paid for the chevelle so again I cant make a decision on the better one. Just look hard for the right project to match tools, space, and capability and go from there. My nova is a 75 and Ive been lookin for some body parts for 2 years now but the 74 and older ones are gettin as popular as the rest now.

#12 ·
Thanks Everyone for all of your opinions. There are so many advantages/disadvantages, its just hard to tell. I am planning on checking out a 1969 Chevelle this weekend and see what I think compared to the 1971 Nova. Please keep the info. coming it helps a ton.

Thanks!

#13 ·
I think either one would be fine. As far as prices, I think the Novas are gettin' pricey, too. I bought my 66 Chevelle 10 years ago.........283, 4 speed car from the original owner with 235K on it. I drove it home for 2500.00. If I found the same deal today on a Nova or Chevelle, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Barrett-Jackson has hurt the hobby, in my opinion, by making people think every project car out there is worth a small fortune. Good luck on your search, and, remember, this is supposed to be for fun!

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.