Advice on our 1/4 mile et's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 09:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice on our 1/4 mile et's

In our 63 Nova wagon we have a 350 .030 over
stock reconditioned rods with arp bolts
speed pro hyperutectic H345np pistons
double hump 62cc heads
Edelbrock EPS performer intake
Edelbrock 500 cfm carb
Melling cam .214@.050, 287 adv &.444 lift # 22213
Powerglide manual valve body Hughes 2500 stall converter
3.08 open rear with 215-70-r14 tires
headers with 2 1/2" pipe to ultraflo mufflers
HEI with accel coil and module and advance kit
36* total timing
autolite 25's @ .045 gap
As is we run 14.0's @ 96 mph while spinning 20-25 feet off the line and turning 4200rpm through the lites. We are working on getting posi with either 3.73 or 3.55 gears as we drive to the track (65 miles open highway) Can anyone give us any other advice on what to do next? We would like to run mid to low 13's. We have purchased a set of competition enginering traction bars from a friend that we will put on soon. Any other thoughts or advice would be welcome. Thanks ccnova

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 PM
WrenchingAce

I would try a bigger cam - either hyd or solid will work fine - and toss on a larger carb.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 AM
Chopper Builder o<>\o

Last journal entry: Dash Removal
Last photo:

Replacing the freeway gears with 3.73:1 gears should definitly put you into the 13's. What type of heads are you running? Stock? Aftermarket? What are the casting numbers on the heads?
Slap on some slicks and you should definitly see better ET's. My thought for the day. oh another suggestion would be nitrous oxide. A 50hp shot down mid track would definitly improve your times.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Your choking the car to death, run a higher flowing carb. Maybe a 750.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:59 AM

CCNova from what you've said with your present combination 14.0's is not shabby by any means. I'd go with the 3.55's so you won't run out past the range of yor cam past the 1000ft mark. The posi and traction bars will help but go with some six cylinder springs in the front and set of Competition Enginnering adjustables shocks all around and this will greatly improve weight transfer and stop the spinning off the line. Also what are you running as far as rubber on the rear? Street radials, slicks or ?. Also a good front end alignment will help et's also, jus ttell you alignment man what you are doing with the wagon and let him set it up for you. With these few changes should put you in the mid 13's with no problem. If your not running slicks right now borrow some from a friend and try them and high 13's should be in the bag.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:47 AM

We are just using regular street tires now. No slicks or anything My son drives the car daily to school and work etc. We are shifting at 5000 rpm now but may try going to 5500 once to see if any difference. Cam is supposed to be good from idle to 5200. I have had a few people tell me the carb is to small but in my time I have seen alot more cars with to much carb than with not enough but we may try a friends 600 just to see what difference it makes. Thanks for the help. If any one has another suggestions please let me know. Thanks again ccnova
Old 07-20-2004, 02:23 PM

1/4 mile et's

sounds like you have a very capable set up,but i agree about the carb.you stick a 650 or 700 double pumper on that car and i think you'll be right where you're hoping to be or even better.since you're driving it to the track,if you are concerned about the gas ,you could get a 4150 750 cfm holley also.save on the road but still get the job done at the track.good luck and happy motoring.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. We will probably try a bigger carb and let you know what happens. thanks for the help ccnova
Old 07-20-2004, 06:01 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

The best ways are already mentioned, here's a different one, try a Ram Air setup. www.ramairbox.com their kits are listed for specific vehicles, I don't think your Nova is on the list but talk to them. The one I bought is for a 77-90 caprice and there is nothing specific about it, it could work and any almost car with a little room under the hood. Supposedly good for knocking .2-.4 tenths off your e.t.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 AM

After rereading this post several times yes a little more carb may help but what's the use in making power if you can't get it to the ground. Suspension tuning will provide more gains than you can imagine. I used to have trouble keeping my GTO straight in 2nd and 3rd gears (4 speed) and would bust the slicks loose till I started working on my suspension, and that was with a posi rearend. Now I'm running an open rear with what appears to be a totally stock suspension but pulls the front wheels off the line on a good track and my 60ft times are the same as when I was running the posi rearend. You can work the suspension and still have a very streetable driver and make the car more stable on the drag strip, also it will be much safer in the long run.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:50 PM

Will traction bars do us any good before we get a posi and better gears? I just bought a set of used Competition engineering bars for $50. Should we wait to install them till we have a posi? Thanks for the help ccnova
Old 07-22-2004, 09:23 PM

The traction bars will help as they will help prevent spring wrap up. Are the bars you bought have the adjustable J-bolts or conventional bolt system (u type bolts)? Either way adjust the bars to where the snubber is close to the spring and doesn't have much travel to contact the spring. Also set the snubber right behind the spring eye (area where front of spring mounts) right under where the spring starts to curve up. Also most tracks will check to make sure the bottom of the bar is not lower than the lower part of the rim, NHRA and IHRA regulations, safety issue. This should reduce some of your wheelspin some. Also lay down some blackmarks and have someone watch to see it the tires are laying down a flat contact patch, this will help you adjust your tire pressure for the best bite. Too little will cause the tires to roll up in the middle and to much will make the tires bulge in the middle, resulting in poor traction and excessive wheelspin. Try this and see if your times improve and your 60ft times drop and let me know the results.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. The traction bars have a "j" bolt design and the snubber lines up right on the spring eye. We will give it a try and see what happens. Next race at our track isn't for 3 weeks though but will try to keep you posted. Thanks ccnova
Old 07-23-2004, 01:06 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I'd say go w/ the 3.73s a bigger cam(around 224@050)don't go to big in a heavey wagon,you wanna keep torque.And a bigger carb but again keep it on the small side like 650Double Pumper.
And traction mods like traction bars and posi or spool or arc welder :evil lol

Last edited by 78 monte; 07-23-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:45 AM

78Monte a 63 Nova wagon only wieghs right around 3100 lbs and the cam they're using is about the same as the 300 horse 327 cam so for what they have is a good choice. I'm getting ready to do a mild buildup on a 400 Pontiac in a 69 Custom S for my wife and I plan on using 3.08 gears in it with a turbo 350 trans and through the exhaust it'll run high 8's in the 1/8th ( that what all the local tracks are here) and be fully streetable. MIld cam, Q-jet, and dual exhaust with some ignition tweaks and my tune-up on it along with a suspension set up that'll be about the same that's under my GTO. LIke I said before it doesn't make alot of sense to build mega engines if you can't get the power to the ground, and over the years I've seen alot of mild combinations beat the wild ones due to getting more power on the ground, as less horsepower hooks better, not as much chance of busting the tires loose. Also when running street tires avoid the bleach box as the tread will hold water, do a dry burnout, just enough to clean the tires and help them hook. These are some of the things I have learned over the years as a racer, as I started street racing back in 77 and started racing on the strip in 81. No I do not approve of street racing even though that's where I got my start but I started leaning then about traction bars and how to adjust them, along with launch techniques, especially in larger body cars with 4 speeds ( I started out with a 69 Plymouth Road Runner), and started to learn the effects of street tires at the track and water burnouts in my 72 Mach 1. I have been racing strictly four speeds since 77 and they are harder to hook if you don't have the suspension tuned right. I have lost several races on account of busting the slicks loose in 2nd and 3rd gears when I had a 455 in my GTO till I started working on the suspension. That is the reason I'm pushing for proper suspension tuning.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.