Advice please: Mounting steel to concrete. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Advice please: Mounting steel to concrete.

Hi all.

My situation involves trying to fix years of neglect that my father's shop (now handed down to me) has endured.

This is a 90 x 30 foot steel building built on a concrete pad. There are 8 vertical I-beams that are bolted to the concrete pad using studs. The bottoms of these beams and the studs are rusted badly and in some cases the studs are gone and the beams are rotting at the base.

What I'm thinking:

Weld brackets on both sides of each beam (L-brackets with some diagonal bracing) and bolt them to the floor using 3/4 inch wedge anchors.

I tried doing a drawing in "microsoft paint" but it's rather sad. Imagine looking straight at the I-Beam, the dark gray are the parts I'm thinking of adding.

Will this work??? What things am I not considering that I should??? I really want this fixed right so please give input.
Attached Images

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
There are 8 vertical I-beams that are bolted to the concrete pad using studs. The bottoms of these beams and the studs are rusted badly and in some cases the studs are gone and the beams are rotting at the base.
That should work just fine. Are some of the post rotted clear off? And if so, are you going to support it back up or has it dropped any in that area? When you lag it back into the concrete I would use caution against getting too far out to the edge as by drilling and putting and expandable anchor in that area it would stand a chance of cracking the concrete depending on how it was poured.The more towards the inside the better. Also you need to figure that the lags are holding the garage from shifting. The weight of the steel and siding is holding it down. Snap some pics if you get a chance so we all can see.

Kevin
Old 03-14-2005, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Kevin.

While the bottom plate on the columns (what boxes the bottom of the I-Beams) have lost about 50% or more of their material the columns are still complete and have not dropped any. Will try getting some pics this weekend.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:18 AM

Last photo:

Looks like a pretty good fix to me. There are also epoxy systems that anchor studs etc, nicely without stressing the slab.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Hochstedler
Looks like a pretty good fix to me. There are also epoxy systems that anchor studs etc, nicely without stressing the slab.
Neil, I just did read about those and am liking the looks of that option. Thank you!

Rice
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Hi Rice
A car forum isn't really the right place to be looking for structural information. You should consult a structural engineer. Seriously, we all would love to help, but considering the weight of the building, natural forces, etc. a certified engineer is the guy you want. You may be in the building when a column kicks. Bad scene. Even worse, a nice hot rod may be in there !!
The anchor bolts are inbedded about 12" (depends on geographic zone). I assume they are 3/4" diameter. The drawing shows perimeter clamping. This will not stop shifting. Only lifting. The anchors can still shear. Like I said, I would consult an engineer.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
Hi Rice
A car forum isn't really the right place to be looking for structural information. You should consult a structural engineer. Seriously, we all would love to help, but considering the weight of the building, natural forces, etc. a certified engineer is the guy you want. You may be in the building when a column kicks. Bad scene. Even worse, a nice hot rod may be in there !!
The anchor bolts are inbedded about 12" (depends on geographic zone). I assume they are 3/4" diameter. The drawing shows perimeter clamping. This will not stop shifting. Only lifting. The anchors can still shear. Like I said, I would consult an engineer.

I agree. I was really thinking that among the folks that love turning wrenches there would be some structural/civil engineers. As a physicist I'm not completely in the dark here but really like getting other insights, such as yours, from around the table.

Thanks,
Rice
Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
You never know it all...

Last photo:

OG GP Girlie

Alright, this is a bit off your topic, but as I understand it you're refurnishing the existing shop?? I can't help with the structural portion, but how's your flooring? Do you have some type of grating to allow for fluid run-off? If not w/b, I provide the fiberglass grating to Turle Wax for their wash bases. We build it for all types of chemical resistances. I'm jus sayin'.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
You never know it all...

Last photo:

OG GP Girlie

Tu R T Le....
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 PM

Here's an idea for you

I ran across this once with some post that were supporting a deck. The round metal post were rusted pretty badly at the bottom. I drilled several cross holes through the post above the rusted section. These were drilled perpendicular to each other and staggered vertically. This was done for vertical support. I put 3/4" diameter steel rods through this that stuck out several inches on each side.

Around all of this, I used a circular preform and poured concrete to tie it all together. In your case, I would probably add some j-bolts into the concrete for tie down support.

My $.02 worth.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.