Hot Rod Forum banner

ADVICE PLEASE: Semi-permanent Sandblast / Spray Booth Construction

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  freedom53 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Constructing my ToyRoom at home at last. Like most, my problem is a lack of space.

I need to build a semi-permanent (quickly assembled, durable & easily handled and stored)
"cross-flow" Sandblast/Spray-painting Booth (from steel sheet, aluminium sheet or MDF etc.)

This will be assembled in my main work-area (23' L x 17 ' W x 12' H) and removed/stored after use. A 4-post lift (mobile) will eventually be bought (car storage/alignment/maintenance/washing duty) so permanent assembly is not possible.

Not really looking for the usual temporary timber/plastic sheeting arrangement.
I need something more in line with a permanent, wall-mounted (inverted "U-shaped") exhaust filter assembly PLUS some sort of ("hinged/pinned/bolted") arrangement of panels that will allow me to quickly assemble a (21' L x 14' W x 9½' H) booth for sandblasting and spray painting... and easily disassemble it for easy storage.

Thinking of using 4' drop-light florescent fixtures fastened to external panels (behind glass inserts) for light system with the usual intake filters mounted in the front doors. I'll seal panel joints with DIY rubber gaskets and make it airtight (almost) with strapping tape etc.

Any construction suggestions / pictures / links etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's something you think you'll use again and again, I'd recommend building panels from framing lumber and plywood. Build 4-foot x 8-foot tall (or whatever suits your space/needs) panels from 2x4's on 24-inch centers and OSB plywood. Cheap and plenty strog. Bolt the panels together with carriage bolts. Build the walls and ceiling this way. Add some neoprene gaskets to the panel ends to achieve the seal you're after. When dissassembled, the panels can be stacked away. You can use corded light fixtures and a few extension cords to simplify the wiring.

For ventilation, build a "window" at each end; one for an exhaust fan, the other for the intake air. Route each to an outdoor location.

Just a thought. My dad used to build houses this way (panel system) in his garage!

#5 ·
AntnyL said:
...I'd recommend building panels from framing lumber and plywood. Build ...from 2x4's on 24-inch centers and OSB plywood. Bolt panels together with carriage bolts... Add neoprene gaskets to panel ends... use corded light fixtures and extension cords to simplify wiring.

For ventilation, build a "window" at each end; one for an exhaust fan, the other for the intake air. Route each to an outdoor location.
Some very good ideas here AntnyL. Really a big help. Thanks a lot.
robs ss said:
http://www.1969supersport.com/paintroom.html can be taken down in 4'x8' panels that are glued and screwed together... dissasemble with air ratchet... stack them for storage.
Rob
Thanks robs. I copied all your "Spray-booth pages" to my hard-drive months ago; even before I registered. Yours is one of those that made me decide to build my own. Thanks.
freedom53 said:
I bought a $199 portable "garage" with the steel tube frame and a polytarp cover.
What's the inside dimensions freedom53? Thanks.

#6 ·
It's 20x12x8 high - I haven't used it yet, but envisioned some type of venting system perhaps made of old furnace pipe with holes cut in it layed along the lower sides and a fan to draw the air down, with a few furnace filters cut in and duct taped for air inlets on the top or walls. I will also use it for a washbay so I can use the pressure washer inside in the winter. I have a sump and floor drain in the bay where I'd set it up. If you go this route make sure to get one with a light colored or white tarp. Makes it a lot brighter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.