Advice on rearend rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice on rearend rebuild

Hey folks,

I am diving into a project that I have never tackled before and I thought I would ask this knowledge base for some basic advice before I get started.

'66 Caprice, 8.2" 10-bolt rear end, about to be upgraded to 3.73 gears fitted onto a new Eaton positraction unit.

The kit comes with everything I should need, including a "how to" instruction video, via Ebay.

Can anyone offer any basic recommendations as to what to look out for/what to do when installing new gears and posit unit?

I have the old stuff out and I'm waiting for the new to arrive so I have been wondering what I'm in for?

Any anecdotes or experiences to share about rear end rebuilding?

I'll be watching, thanks.

JimR

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Last photo:

The most difficult part is determining what thickness pinion shim is required in order to obtain the proper gear teeth contact pattern. There are tools that can assist in this, but for us hobbist, it's pretty much a trial and error system. Try a shim, check the pattern...over and over until you hit the right combination.

Vince
Old 10-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I tired myself out looking for any and all information on doing the gear install in my car, and it paid off.

I measured everything upon removal from the donor axle, and from the axle in the car and simple math indicated what I needed to put the gears and carrier in the car axle compared to the truck axle they came out of.

I bought everything I would have needed to do a complete swap, and lucked out with being able to re-use many of the used parts.

The places I dealt with gave no problems with the returns of many of the un-needed parts and even helped out when I had a part in a kit that was damaged in the production process, they told me to put the individual part number on it and send it back for refund of that part.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:18 AM

Thanks for your replys.

I am wondering, does the pinion depth change much when you put the final torque on the yolk?

JimR
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Last photo:

Pinion depth does not change as you torque the retaining nut. As you tighten the yoke retaining nut you compress the crush sleeve that preloads the bearing. The clearances do not change.

The installation kit that Currie Enterprises sells (I believe it's Currie) has a new rear pinion bearing that the ID has been honed to allow a slip fit over the pinion neck instead of a press fit. This allows easy refit of different sized shims until the proper one is determined. If you do not have the honed bearing you must have acces to a hydraulic press to get the bearing off and on again.

Vince
Old 10-12-2004, 09:43 AM

Thanks again for the info. I should be getting a UPS delivery sometime before the weekend. I can't wait to feel how it launches with both tires digging in.

JimR

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.