Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - advice on Singer 211
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

That machine is a compound feed machine, which in this case means it employs a combination of needle feed and drop feed. Needle feed means the needle pulls the material forward, and drop feed means it employs feed dogs to push the fabric forward. The machine has alternating presser feet, as does a walking foot machine, but not a walking foot, which means the foot lifts on the backward stroke. In other words, with the alternating presser feet one foot is holding the fabric down and the other foot is lifting off the fabric, and they alternate that way as the fabric goes through the machine. The walking foot feature helps push the fabric through the machine better, which is very important in sewing auto upholstery, specifically fabric with sew foam under it. The fact that it has compound feed and alternating presser feet is good, but if I were you, I would pass on this one and get a 111W (or one of it's clones) or 211W instead. The machine would be fine to do furniture upholstery.

Also, the price scares me. This machine should sell for a lot more than that. Is it just the machine head, or does that price include a table and motor? A table and motor will cost you $350 to $500 more.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-18-2010 at 11:27 AM.