advice on Singer 211 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

advice on Singer 211

First let me introduce myself. My name is Grant and I live on the N.C. coast. I have built several cars including a chopped A, chopped 35 ford sedan delivery and have a chopped 35 ford roadster project in storage. I am in the process of putting a 60 bird convertible that was my dads back together. I have always wanted to learn to do my own interior work and have the time now to learn. I have read as much as I can on here with the search function and the singer 211 comes up as a good machine. I love the tip on the plaid material to practice on. I have found a used 211u166A at a clearance company. It is one of several machines used by a high end furniture company that has closed its doors. The clearance house says it is not a walking foot machine but all my "research" says it has presser feet. Are presser feet different then a walking foot or could the presser feet have been optional and this machine doesnt have them? I can pick the machine up for 300 dollars and this includes the table. I did check and the machine does have reverse.
Your advice and counsel is appreciated. thank you Grant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

I believe a walking foot would have a "w" instead of a "u"
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

That machine is a compound feed machine, which in this case means it employs a combination of needle feed and drop feed. Needle feed means the needle pulls the material forward, and drop feed means it employs feed dogs to push the fabric forward. The machine has alternating presser feet, as does a walking foot machine, but not a walking foot, which means the foot lifts on the backward stroke. In other words, with the alternating presser feet one foot is holding the fabric down and the other foot is lifting off the fabric, and they alternate that way as the fabric goes through the machine. The walking foot feature helps push the fabric through the machine better, which is very important in sewing auto upholstery, specifically fabric with sew foam under it. The fact that it has compound feed and alternating presser feet is good, but if I were you, I would pass on this one and get a 111W (or one of it's clones) or 211W instead. The machine would be fine to do furniture upholstery.

Also, the price scares me. This machine should sell for a lot more than that. Is it just the machine head, or does that price include a table and motor? A table and motor will cost you $350 to $500 more.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-18-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM

thanks

Dan, the price includes the table. It is a clearing house that takes a companies assets and disposes of them. They have six of these machines and all have been on a maintenance contract. I have been given the name of the local company that did the work. At that price I am ahead to get it and learn on it and if a 211w head comes along to swap them out. I have followed your advice on this board and value it. Thank you for responding.
here is a link to a picture of the machine
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...nger_211_6.jpg

Last edited by NCbird; 03-18-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just looked at the picture. That would be a steal at that price. You really can't go wrong. Good luck with it.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM

thanks for the insight

Thank you. You have explained the feed on the machine better and in a more concise way then anyone else. I now understand why when I was trying to research the machine I got confused. Many forums equated presser feet and dogs to a walking foot which I now understand it is not. I have been unable to find a machine locally I can afford and the ones for sale on the net with a table cost as much to ship as the machine cost. You have provided me in a succinct way a plan forward and I appreciate that. I applaud your ability to assist others and have read a lot of your posts as a primer. This board is a great resource because of people like yourself and the others who contribute. Grant
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm glad I could help. You are very kind, thank you.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 AM

proud owner

Dan I picked up the machine saturday. All in all the machine and table look great http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ncoming480.jpg

It is a stepper motor machine and that also looks very good. With out a manual for the stepper I am not sure of the settings. Can you explain?
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ncoming482.jpg

They gave me a bunch of extras including extra feet and several packs of needles so I can practice. Following I think it was your advice I got some remnants to practice on..couldnt find plaid but I did get some with stripes to practice straight line sewing on. I have found the service manual online which gives me the adjustments and oiling points so now just have to find a guide. thanks for all the assistance . Grant
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Is it a stepper motor or a servo motor, there is a difference?

A stepper motor could be used for a home machine that has different type stitching capabilities, but I am not familiar with any stepper motors that are used on industrial sewing machines.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-22-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM

motor

The technician I talked to said it was a stepper motor machine not a clutch motor if it had the sensor on the hand wheel connecting to the motor control. I guess in reality trying to answer your question is it looks like a servo motor and what I am looking at is the control panel for the motor control. There are two switchs along with the speed control and I was trying to figure out their function. This is like trying to play battleship when you dont have a manual. thanks for your patience. Grant
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There's not a lot of difference between steppers and servos, they both are constant torque variable speed devices, but generally servos are a little smoother. A stepper would need the feedback to make it a closed loop system.

If I were you, because it was used for upholstery work, I wouldn't try to adjust anything and just use it like it is.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Once you've used an industrial machine, you'll never go back.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

"I believe a walking foot would have a "w" instead of a "u""

The "u" signifies that the Singer machine was made in Japan, a "w" would show that it was made in USA and a "g" would denote a machine manufactured in Germany. The only way to tell if a machine has walking foot (without actually seeing it) is to have the complete model number and check the instruction manual or some other reference for that specific model.

Ed
Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 AM

practice practice practice

I appreciate all the help now I just have to practice. I have tried a few passes and it is quiet and the speed is fine for me. I have decided the switchs on the control box are one: to set the needle height and depth which should not need to be adj unless there is some problem and second: whether you want a soft start or regular. I am leaving them where they are with a nod to Don on his sage advice. Now I am trying to learn about needle designations and thread...gotta love it. Grant
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

All you have to remember about needles is that your needle system is 135X17, and there are a number of different size needles available from about size 18 to size 24. The smaller the number the smaller the diameter of the needle shaft.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.