Advice on Spreading Filler. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Advice on Spreading Filler.

I've done a search on "Spreading filler" and really did not come up with anything. I've watched all the DVD's and videos but when they get ready the spread the filler is always over a small area. I'm going to be using the Evercoat Rage product to spread over my epoxy primer weld line which is about 5 feet in length and will have to do this also on the under side of the weld line. My question is, because the filler with hardener will dry so fast, on my first pass on the filler should I try and cover the whole area of the weld line or cover one small section, re-mix another batch and move to another until the whole line is covered? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

MP

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Speed in applying this stuff comes with experience, so if the filler is hardening faster than you can apply it then you definately need to mix smaller batches. Putting in less hardener will also slow down the cure time enabling you to get more on the surface before it hardens. You can lay down a thin coat first then another one on top to get the desired thickness you need, or just work from one end of the weld line to the other. Bob
Old 12-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Bob is right . so much of this comes with experience. I bet most who have been doing this for awhile would probably tell you to spread the whole thing at one time. You dont have to of course, you could do a foot or two section, sand straight, do another section, then when it all feels decent, spread one skim coat over whole shabang to fill any little spots as well as getting each little section you have sanded to blend in good with one another. Of course it will take more time to do it this way. With experience you know about how much hardener to add that it will harden in a reasonable amount of time (0r fully harden at all) that will also give you time to get the filler on and work it nice with the spreader. With experience just by looking at the color of the mixed filler, you can tell about how hot of a mix you have.
How far up from the weld line is going to need filler? For speed you may want to first get all the filler on the weld line area by gobbing it vertically along your weld line about the distance you need fill, then if you have a big enough spreader that is wider then the area you are spreading, go lengthwise along the seam from one end of your weld line to the other with more pressure on the edges so its easier to feather in the filler and less pressure in the middle so it leaves some fill in the area it will most likely be needed. If you get too much of a buildup of filler, take the spreader and get rid of the extra filler on your mudboard, and make another pass one end to the other. I've even used drywall spreaders at some jobs where we had huge areas to fill, The width of one of these should be larger then the area around the weld you need to spread, and with one pass you can smooth the whole works, without working so much. With experience though, a smaller body spreader will be easy to work with also. Hope you kind of understood what I was trying to say. If it isn"t really warped in far from the weld line, well a small body spreader will work well, and also have less to sand. Not seeing exactly what you are doing makes it harder to give advice.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.