Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - advice/thoughts/suggestions 327 build
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968ccaammaarroo
ROD/STROKE ratio certainly DOES have an effect on power. It's simple physics and mechanical advantage. The longer rod also contributes to lowering the piston speed and lets it spend a little more "time" near and just after TDC on the power stroke.
Rods certianly do affect power, but its on a VERY small scale- and longer is not always better. The type of waterpump you choose will likely affect power more than the length of rod you use. You're spending too much time on all of the wrong areas.

I would go with 6" rods for a few other reason, but the rod ratio creating power is not realy one of them. Running 6" rods in a 327 with 10.5:1 compression with some nice 190ccish aluminum heads will definitely be a street brawler- don't forget the valvetrain, cam, intak, carb, exhaust, trans, and rear end to match though.

If you're racing stoplights a 383" engine will be a much better choice though, as torque does rule the streets and there's no eplacement for displacement.

As to turbo's, I feel that its no longer a ricer thing- sure there are ricer posers but there are also stock looking Ford Focuses running 350 to the wheels on pump gas- just a shame its to the wrong wheels. And I brought up the Focus thing bcause I'm looking at buying a 2002 ZX5.