Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - advice/thoughts/suggestions 327 build
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
270H has 224/224 at 0.050"

260H has 212/212 at 0.050"

Dart or AFR heads will easily out power stock gm heads of that time period. Porting stock heads makes no sense unless you do it yourself. And I don't think the guy in a head porter. Just buy good heads and move on.

I wasn't trying to imply the 270H is a bad choice, its a good one for this type of street combo- though there are other equally as good ones for a little cheaper if you look hard enough.

And the head recomendation was assuming he not only ported the heads himself, but also redid the seals, installed the valves and springs, and cleaned them- basically everything but cut the new valve seats (I realize most people are not set up for that). It was a strict budget build. If you're going to drop $1500 on heads (as opposed to my $350 version which beats even VOrtecs by a long shot as far as power/dollar) then those are by far better choices than porting stock castings. I was shooting for low end hyper pistons (thoguh check for right comp ht), a possibley used intake (RPM's are everywhere), a budget cam, a used rebuilt carb, and cheap painted headers.

Hell if the block was in nice enough shape he could even hone it himself.

Otherwise I'd go a whole different route.