Aerostar suspension swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Aerostar suspension swap

I've been going back and forth between using an aerostar or a crown vic front suspension for my Studebaker truck chassis. The crown vic seems to be the trick set up but the one major thing wrong is the width. Because the hubs are so far out, it is necessary to use negative offset wheels which is not the look I want. The aerostar uses a more conventional wheel and seems to be an easy enough conversion. The problem with this one is the dinky brakes and the world's ugliest upper control arm. I was hoping that I could swap another spindle and arm & be happy. Not the case. All of the other Ford options are either too short, too long , or, in the case of mustang, use a strut. It doesn't seem that anything will work without some major re-engineering which isn't worth the time & effort. I guess that I'll end up using a 17 X 8 wheel and some 1 1/2" spacers on the T-bird rear.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

FFR Cobra kits

check out how FactoryFive Racing uses the Fox mustang spindles, an adaptor bracket and new tubular control arms. You might be abler to mix and match parts, get some
BIG Mustang Cobra brakes with an aero X member.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 PM

I had thought about fabricating a " strut replacer" when OI looked at some mustang spindles but is seems like a '98 or so c/v taxi or police spindle might be better as it already is forged for ball joints at both ends. They have 12" rotors and dual piston calipers. I can but turnbuckles from Mc Master Carr and fabricate an upper control arm but then why not fabricate a lower one too and use coil overs? However, there goes the cheap and easy portion of the program. I'm getting more sold on the '03-'06 c/v susp. as the best choice.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

jag ?

Have you looked at using a Jag xjs, We have a jag under the rear of my son's 22 Dodge lakester, 4 jag xjs rear suspensions on pallets, 2 xjs fronts and 2 Jag F 40' fronts for future projects, We got them at a self serve yard for $ 100-125 each
lots of info if you search on the HAMB
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ght=jag+jaguar
Jag Jaguar IRS into a 46' International Harvester - THE H.A.M.B.

Last edited by timothale; 01-23-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Our local U-pull it has come under corporate ownership and now everything' made of gold. Also, you don't buy a suspension as a unit but each individual piece. Price of everything has doubled.
Kind of wanted to stay away from the foreign stuff. Installed the famous jag rear end under a friend's '40 chev and it looked kind of weak compared to the '87 T-bird unit I'm using. Also they have the chevy bolt pattern. The other possibility was to use a newer dakota frame & suspension. If the spindles can be changed to the earlier type with the 5 bolt pattern then we might have a winner. 11" w/ single piston would be adequate. Been a Ford guy since 1962. Kind of would like to keep it that way.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.