Afr 195 Heads...cam? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Afr 195 Heads...cam?

Some of you might have already been replying on my thread about wanting to twin turbo my engine...that is still a very possible outcome but i have been looking into just getting real nice heads and a different cam to maybe produce somewheres up to 450 horse or so. For those who aren't familiar with my engine yet it is a 350 bored .060 over 4 bolt main SBC. It has a forged crankshaft, hyper pistons(flat tops), edelborck air gap manifold, 750 edelbrock carb, msd ignition/wires, k&n filter, flow tech headers. There is about 6000 miles on the engine. I will be changing the Heads over to the AFR 195 because the heads on there now arent anything to special...just something i had machined. What would everyone consider i use for a cam? Brand? Duration? Lift? RPM range? I would be using it as a street/strip car but still want to run it on 93 octane or so. And i have the Chevy Turbo 350 transmission built to be good up to 600HP with a Boss Hogg converter the stall is around 2500 i think...dont quote me on that though, i will have to check. Any suggestions? I am open to all of them...and links to info sites would be great! Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM

I'd guess that something in the range of 230 degrees duration and about .525 lift would do it. There are lots of hydraulic rollers out there that are about this range. One thing to consider with those AFR heads, the intake flow numbers are good, but the exhaust flow numbers are far better, from a practical standpoint. So, it really isn't necessary to use a dual pattern cam. What I mean is that, if you were looking at a 226/234 duration, you'd probalby get better performance from a similarly ground lobe and 230/230 duration. Assuming equal LCA, you've got the same overlap but you're taking in more air/fuel. So, you get more power and performance with similar street manners.

I've seen this recommended in some of the magazines for AFR heads, and I've played with the idea on my computer-dynos, but I've never seen any actual test results. Also, I expect your engine at this point would most likely be limited by the intake manifold. I'd guess a single plane might buy you close to 20 HP.

Hopefully one of the cam experts here will chime in. I'd like to hear what the experts here think about the single pattern idea on cams being used with exceptionally good exhaust ports.

Edit -- Comp used to grind custom cams from standard lobe profiles, for hydraulic rollers at no additional charge over grinding a catalog cam. I've heard some of the others did as welll. I'm not so sure if they still do, but I'd not be surprized.

Pat
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

i say contact gale banks he has a tt 350 set up

http://bankspower.com/Tech_twinturbo.cfm

Banks is developing a drag car with a 526-cubic-inch engine with four turbochargers. Admittedly, such an engine stretches the bounds of credibility. It would seem like that is the ultimate, but there’s another entire chapter to turbocharging that’s just being opened. Can you say diesels at 150-psi boost? Don’t blink. They’re not coming … they’re already here!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,089 Times in 901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
I'd guess that something in the range of 230 degrees duration and about .525 lift would do it. There are lots of hydraulic rollers out there that are about this range. One thing to consider with those AFR heads, the intake flow numbers are good, but the exhaust flow numbers are far better, from a practical standpoint. So, it really isn't necessary to use a dual pattern cam. What I mean is that, if you were looking at a 226/234 duration, you'd probalby get better performance from a similarly ground lobe and 230/230 duration. Assuming equal LCA, you've got the same overlap but you're taking in more air/fuel. So, you get more power and performance with similar street manners.

I've seen this recommended in some of the magazines for AFR heads, and I've played with the idea on my computer-dynos, but I've never seen any actual test results. Also, I expect your engine at this point would most likely be limited by the intake manifold. I'd guess a single plane might buy you close to 20 HP.

Hopefully one of the cam experts here will chime in. I'd like to hear what the experts here think about the single pattern idea on cams being used with exceptionally good exhaust ports.

Edit -- Comp used to grind custom cams from standard lobe profiles, for hydraulic rollers at no additional charge over grinding a catalog cam. I've heard some of the others did as welll. I'm not so sure if they still do, but I'd not be surprized.

Pat
See tech tip 2003....
http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php#2003

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.