AFR head question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AFR head question

I'm wondering about AFR 195 heads and after I read the "i hate pro-topline torker,they suck post" I have AFR Head Questions,

Question Whats Everyones thouhts on AFR Heads ?

I want more than a set of Vortec heads offer (all though theres some nice vortec combos on ryans page like 99 & 108 & 109). I'm wondering about the AFRs (I'm planning on around $1200 range or less for a set or heads.)

[/I] how about some of your guys experiences with AFR heads and some real world recommendations on aftermarket heads?

I wondering about AFR aftermarket heads, this motor will see a few hrs on the street on a nice weekend and some track time, by No means will it be daily driver. (between my brother and I we have a couple high nickle high tin virgin 350 4 bolt blocks, and one 2bolt main 350 (they all need machine work/boring (except the 2 bolt) ) and 2 factory 350 GM steel cranks, one virgin, one 10/10) I was planing on a (355 instead of a 383) Forged Rotating Assembly (since we have the GM steel cranks ) a 450HP + SBC in the 9.3.1cr to10.1 or 10.5.1 cr and hit this max HP by 5500RPM to 58000 or B4 if possible would be nice, I like the idea of max hp by 5000 on the 355s on the ryans page, now right at 500HP would make us both happy. this is for a S10 P/U My brother and I are looking at thats a rolling chassis with a narrowed Ford 9" ladder bar rear suspension & a 400th,

my brother has a machine shop fresh 350 2 bolt main block (1974 left hand dip stick block ), would you guys be scared to use it with and 450hp 355 or even a 525hp 383 ?

combo 12 to 14 is all afr 355 good combos

15 16 & 17 and 71 are nice afr 383 combos

combo 71 & 17 is my favorite aftermarket head combo, and are all very streetable, but it is 383

[B]I really like this 525hp combo, and will plan on this set up if I have to go 383 I like the 383 combo 71 525hp@5800RPM

thanks guys any and all thoughts on AFR Heads would be appreciated

Mustangsaly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 05:06 PM

When I posted about that I didnt want to portray as the heads being defective or anything just something that had been noticed. The story goes that AFR had changed the casting to a thinner casting possibly to save money. They had these scalloped recesses that would allow the block coolant passages to be uncovered making for a very bad coolant leak.
I will attach a photo. BTW in the price range your looking for dont pass over the Brodix and Trickflow heads. Lately they have become a little more popular than AFR.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

all the AFR info I can get is appreciated ! cause we are almost ready to place the order. just lookin into a set of forged rods & some ross forged full floating pistons. AFR was our plan, any other experiences good or bad is appreciated !

my brother has a machine shop fresh 350 2 bolt main block (1974 left hand dip stick block ), would you guys be scared to use it with and 450hp 355 or even a 525hp 383 ?

Mustangsaly
Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 PM
floppers forever

go to 1320.com click on cylinder head flow,read that page before you you click chevy at the top of the page.they have info on the performance of just about all heads.
i my self like the brodix #8 heads for what your doing.i did a set for a buddy of mine and he runs high 9's low 10's with a 377ci. 3200 pound nova.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

look at these heads i know way out of your price range but way awsome
www.araoengineering.com
Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

I have a set of 180cc street heads and they are night and day above the stock 882's I had on my SBC. IMHO I think AFR is the best head right out of the box. If you get into porting, than that is a different story. They have the new Eliminator series that is just supposed to be kicka** , raising the bar once again.

HERE is a link that Tony Mamo at AFR gives on flow numbers for them, and those are preliminary numbers.

And HERE is the latest info on them. I hope this helps. You won't be disappointed with them.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

all the AFR info I can get is appreciated ! what set of forged rods does everyone like ? any bad experiences with ross forged full floating pistons ? so any other experiences good or bad is appreciated !

think the 350 2 bolt main block (1974 left hand dip stick block ) will handle the WOT of our heavy footed streetable fun with this hp & tq?, would you guys be scared to use it with and 450hp 355 or even a 525hp 383 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle4542speed
look at these heads i know way out of your price range but way awsome
www.araoengineering.com

well I know $1200 to $1400 is max and more than I should spend, but I want that 450 to 524 all motor SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_baller4692
go to 1320.com click on cylinder head flow,read that page before you you click chevy at the top of the page.they have info on the performance of just about all heads.i my self like the brodix #8 heads for what your doing.i did a set for a buddy of mine and he runs high 9's low 10's with a 377ci. 3200 pound nova.

[QUOTE=shaggy56]When I posted about that I didnt want to portray as the heads being defective or anything just something that had been noticed. The story goes that AFR had changed the casting to a thinner casting possibly to save money. They had these scalloped recesses that would allow the block coolant passages to be uncovered making for a very bad coolant leak.
I will attach a photo. BTW in the price range your looking for dont pass over the Brodix and Trickflow heads. Lately they have become a little more popular than AFR.

I will look at the Brodix and Trickflow heads, but I / am wantin the ARF heads bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926
I have a set of 180cc street heads and they are night and day above the stock 882's I had on my SBC. IMHO I think AFR is the best head right out of the box. If you get into porting, than that is a different story. They have the new Eliminator series that is just supposed to be kicka** , raising the bar once again.

HERE is a link that Tony Mamo at AFR gives on flow numbers for them, and those are preliminary numbers.

And HERE is the latest info on them. I hope this helps. You won't be disappointed with them.

I was lookin at the ARF 195 competition 1st then the 195 street head. I will look at the the new Eliminator series also, but gona do some big time research B4 buyin .

I will look at brodix#8 heads, what do they run price wise ?

I like these combos and decided on a forged rotating assembly
combo 12 to 14 is all afr 355 good combos

15 16 & 17 and 71 are nice afr 383 combos

combo 71 & 17 is my favorite aftermarket head combo, and are all very streetable, but it is 383

I really like this 525hp combo, and will plan on this set up if I have to go 383 I like the 383 combo 71 525hp@5800RPM

keep the comments coming

Mustangsaly
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM

I have never had a set of the afr's in my hands but yesterday I stopped by the brodix foundry and was not impressed by the quality of their heads. not to say they dont make power but they just dont look like they should cost what they do.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

As you probably know, what makes AFR so good is that they come CNC ported out of the box, that makes a huge difference compared to an as cast head. I have been keeping track of afr combos from friends magazines and myself, and have been very impressed with level of performance that I have seen. The Eliminator heads are only going to cost ~$40 more than the current heads, but it will be around 6 months before they are available according to AFR. They should kick some serious butt though. The street 195's are supposed to flow what the old comp heads did, and the new comp 195's are supposed to flow 300cfm. That is alot for a 195cc head no matter who has ported them. Below is a combo that I had in a car and what it ran.

AFR street 210cc heads (i think too much head or not enough cam)
236 242 @.050 .520 lift hyd roller cam
victor jr intake
10.5:1 comp

ran 7.85 (around a 12.3 in the 1/4) in the 1/8th at 3600 lb with all accessories, a turbo 400, ford 9 inch and a 4000 stall. that should put the car right around 385 at the wheels. If you assume a 23% loss to the rear wheels, that is around 500 at the motor. I beleive that with a set of the street 195cc heads it would make about the same max power with a little more low end if you used the same cam. I also raced a guy with the same combo but with the 195cc AFR's and a Performer RPM intake in a 1966 el camino. He ran around 8.00 in the 1/8th.

Adam

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.