Hot Rod Forum banner

afr heads on a 383 stroker

13K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  71chev 
#1 ·
Hey question im building w 383 stroker for my chevelle iv got a set of afr 220 heads off a stock car that have been ported and polished. wondering if they will work for my aplication i am up for suggestions i want to build engine aroung my heads .

#3 ·
Chevy 383 small block is a Chevy 350 bored .030 over with a Chevy 400 cu.in. crank.

No steam holes required in the heads for this combo. Steam holes are when using a Chevy 400 block.

AFR heads are excellent. Depending on other mod choices (cam, carb) and your intended use (street, drag or combination) will determine whether the 220cc will work best or not.

#4 ·
this i liable to start a huge argument, but here goes anyway:

IMHO the 220cc intake runners are a bit large for a street driven 383, and then you mention that they have been ported and polished, so the runners are even larger now. it's kinda wierd how it all works, they say that when you go to a larger runner you sacrifise low end tq for high end hp, which for the street is almost the oposite of what you want. but the wierd thing is that a set of 220 runners still has great flow in the lower lift areas of the cam.

but in my experiance unless you plan to run primarily strip and not street then those 220+ runners a bit large, you may want to look more into a head around 200cc.

#6 ·
my87Z said:
this i liable to start a huge argument, but here goes anyway:

IMHO the 220cc intake runners are a bit large for a street driven 383, and then you mention that they have been ported and polished, so the runners are even larger now. it's kinda wierd how it all works, they say that when you go to a larger runner you sacrifise low end tq for high end hp, which for the street is almost the oposite of what you want. but the wierd thing is that a set of 220 runners still has great flow in the lower lift areas of the cam.

but in my experiance unless you plan to run primarily strip and not street then those 220+ runners a bit large, you may want to look more into a head around 200cc.
I would have to agree with my87Z. Those Heads would be useful in a motor built for all around race USAGE!! I would stick with something between 195-210 (depending on the Brand) for a 383 ci motor. You would get the best of both worlds if you decided to build for street or strip!!

#10 ·
Or just have fast valve action and a short rod... You don't even need big duration, jut some high fast lift, there are a lot of hyd. rollerpofiles or mild solid roller profiles that would match this setup an be pretty nice down low.

For those concerned with too much port volume look at the LS3.

#11 ·
afr 220

well thank you all. see when i got the heads in the first palce the plan was twin turbo but decided against it for now, thought about a supercharger but not sure yet . my plan was for street strip but more race than street. i also thought e85 but dont know what it takes to convert. i want to build the engine around the heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.