After all this - not what I thought .... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 06:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

After all this - not what I thought ....

I had a stock remanufactured 350 and have done LOTS of mods ..... although the car runs well, it doesn't produce what i thought it would ....

It is going on the Dyno, and I am going to get a wee better compression out of it after changing head gasket next weekend, but I still thought it would have been smokin' tires left and right without much if any effort ......

Here is a list:

AFR 180cc 65cc chamber eliminator heads
XE 274H cam
Ebrock 1406 (Will have to + A/F at wot, but will wait until dyno'd)
Ebrock EPS 2701 Intake
Summit G9001 headers
True dual 2.5" exaust Flowmaster mufflers
No smog
MSD 8501 Distrib

Good compression - all cylinders are around 150psi
Timing set 38* all in / 52* total

3.73 rear end
27.1" street tires
2004r OD GN tranny/2500 stall

8.2 stock compression, I am about 8.9 now, and over 9:1 with new .015 head gasket. I am not for sure yet, but think I am PROBABLY around .050 down in the hole, 4.030 bore AND a .041 Head Gasket .... Will know for sure this coming weekend

Stock crank, fly-cut 12cc dished pistons

Anyone see anything blatent that would hinder this motor from TAKING OFF and snapping my head back, without mentioning pistons, rods or crank????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Don`t waste your time changing just the head gaskets. the gains will not be worth the effort or money. Not only that, with that thin of a gasket, I would have the block decked and heads milled to be assured of absolute flatness. That`s why the fel pro replacements are so thick, to compensate for the decks not being flat. Going to such a thin gasket might gain you 5 horses in your engines case.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

That, if true, is a kick in the face!!!! I have worked so hard to get where I am now at ..... so what can I do to get some more juice out of this 350 ????

Stock the setup was only a measly 190hp/280tq, heavier, higher gears, thm350c vs 2004r 1st gear (& OD), smaller tires, smogged to the hilt .... I think I would have been severly disappointed buying that Vette new in 1980
Old 10-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

? Even in a mid sized truck 350hp should get you some good tire kickin. I am suprised. Low end tourque would really help in that! In the mean time you might wanna drive on bald tires to keep you busy.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You asked for something "blatant", so here it is. Yes, the exhaust at 2.5". It would work better with 2", to a maximum of 2 1/4", most likely best with 2 1/8" duals with a crossover pipe. You are 'over' piped now.

Even A SBC 383 'stroker' runs 'best' with 2 1/8-2 /38 exhaust, depending on being 'naturally aspirated', or 'super charged"

You cannot expect as much out of a 'stock' SBC 350 rebuild.

JMO
Old 10-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

you want to smoke them tires , with less cost ?
put a washer bottle with pump in trunk , if it's a vet , it will be hard to find a place , but hook up a switch and tee the squirter's over the tires , mix water with bleach , and smoke them tires bald .

a better trans and stall will help over the 200 .
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt olds
you want to smoke them tires , with less cost ?
put a washer bottle with pump in trunk , if it's a vet , it will be hard to find a place , but hook up a switch and tee the squirter's over the tires , mix water with bleach , and smoke them tires bald .

a better trans and stall will help over the 200 .
Or wait for some "icy" roads?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

Well, with dished, stock pistons sitting approx .050 down, along with a .045 head gasket and a fairly mild cam, I can see why it's disappointing. I'm surprised it even makes 150 pounds of compression.

You need better pistons and more cam if you really want to wake it up.

What vehicle is it in? Heavy? Light?

Mark
Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

With that math I get 8.56:1 compression. Not enough for that cam. You just have too much duration for that compression, and the 110 LSA doesn't help either down low.

Exhaust isn't helping either, but its not terrible. It could be made better if you went a little smaller.

Otherwise things look pretty good. The two things I would check first are carb tune and degree the cam. Edelbrock's 1406 is notoriously lean. I put one on my Pontiac 389 and had to go two jet sizes and three rod sizes different to get it to work in the primaries. The secondaries were still so lean that it would slow down if I opened it up.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

The quench is a pure guess ..... as I was in a hurry AND DIDN'T take measurements of how far down the hole I am, or bore size (didn't even scrape off the carbon to read the top of piston

That is all coming up this weekend ..... together with dyno run, a/f carb tune to around 12.5/13 at WOT

It is a 1980 corvette L48, around 3000 lbs that had a remanufactured motor installed when I got it, so its anyones guess right now!

I was thinking about the Lunati 60201 (less duration cam), that should help, but I am frankly done with changing things until I have a clear direction .....

Since the engine only has a few thousand highway miles on it, heads have less than 200 test miles on them, would either really have time to warp any??

If I am going to change cams anyway, why not also do the head gasket and squeeze out as many horses as possible, by getting more compression???

I was thinking that that exhaust would have less restriction and would actually help me in the matter!!!!

Forgot to mention the 1.52 full rollers!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

i bought a 84 vet that had tpi installed , it smoked the tires pretty good , but tpi was acting up , so i swapped a elderbrock carb and intake that i got off a 305 impala ,even swapped the hei for non computer type , man that thing came allive .
you couldn't even back it up without the tires spinning , and forward , it would keep you pinned to the seat .
it was a bone stock cross flow with the 700r trans heavy car .

so whats in that motor you have ?
you sure of it being a 350 ?not a 305 ?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

I am as sure as I can be ..... every part that I have ever put on her is for a 350 .....
Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

How much time have you spent getting the carb dialed in? Of course the compression is too low and likely the quench is all wrong but seems to me you have a carb setup problem.

How does it run? When you punch the gas from a stop what does it do? What do the plugs look like? How is the mileage?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

On the carb, I have done NADA .... was going to wait on the dyno run to see where I was at with a/f ratio! I do have carb calibration kit on hand to make it run richer (they come pretty lean from factory).

Plugs look like they are running lean, as well.
I have not calculated mileage, so I am not sure on that one.

When I punch it from dead stop, it pulls but not like I expected it to just break out .... it will squeel the tires shifting 1-2 and keep pulling but again, not what I expected.

Still would like to get the quench as good as I can get it, carb a/f adjusted
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

from the sound of it you reused a stock short block? Your compression is WAY TOO LOW for any decent performance- especially with that bigger cam. I would keep you cam, heads, intake and carb but redo your short block. Go with some SpeedPro forged pistons with 4VR- they're about the cheapest good forged piston you can buy. Also make sure you are running the right gap on your rings- I prefer gapless rings but some people eget cheap and don't want the extra 10hp and 4" of vacuum when they realize they cost $50 more a set.

After you get your short block together (.030" overbore and zero decked). put your heads and intake back on and go from there.

Keep your 2.5" exhaust it's probably costing you a few ftlb but there are far better ways to gain it back. What kind of headers are you running? That's the most important part of the exhaust system.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.