Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - After Market Parts
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

After Market Parts

During the Christmas holidays the normal auto TV shows had their marathons on and what was prevalent was the number of after market parts being used. When you see AD pickups, Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars, Tri-Five replacement parts being used, I began thinking has modern technology made all this possible. All of these body panels require presses and stamping dies. Any stamping press of the proper tonnage will do but what about the dies. Are they original dies that were scrapped years ago and found? Are these dies made from original drawings that have been laser or digitally scanned and converted to CNC data to run mills and lathes? Do they scan existing parts and convert to CNC data? Do they use newer metallurgy for die materials that have a limited production run but cheaper and easier to make? I have seen how the aerospace companies used data to deposit plastic into objects that are used to make molds for casting parts or other technologies that I donít even know about. I am wondering if any of this technology is being used to make these parts more available today than before. I am not commenting on the overall quality, because I donít know, but the more I see of these parts being used, the quality and overall costs have to be good or people wonít buy. Any thoughts on this topic.