Aftermarket Air conditioner info needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 AM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Aftermarket Air conditioner info needed

Just curious about any recent A/C intallations - what brand, model, how it works, recomendations, etc. My plan is to use stock big GM compressor (A-6 I think w/r134), the largest parallel flow condensor I can fit in and an aftermarket cool/heat/defrost unit from Vintage Air or Southern Air. This going into a 1952 Chevy Sedan and I'm in south Alabama so I need a lot of cooling capacity. Please share your experience.
Thanks,
Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

ac preference

I used stock GM compressor (99) with classic auto air- cooled very well. Bill
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

Thanks for the info Bill. I looked at their website to get some ideas of what they offer. Please tell me a little more about the details of your application.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

ac preference

Hi Bob, I used Classic Auto Air on a 55 Chevy Sedan because at the time, anyway, they were the only ones that told me that a factory compressor would work fine. They have separate coils for heat and AC- a true blend system, plus electronic servos. Heat dumps and defrost on one side,(4)ac outlets on the other side.I just fished charging up my 36 Ford- cools that small interior really well in the Texas heat. Bill
Old 08-13-2006, 09:40 AM

Hey Guys I came across this website and they had a nice selection of upgrades and controls,www.oldairproducts.com
Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 PM

I'm in the process of getting the A/C working in my '75 GMC pickup, and have been working with folks at Arizona Mobile Air, who are the sponsors for www.ackits.com. I asked them if they had a suggestion for a better compressor than the A6 (I've had two fail, so I don't consider them very reliable) and they suggested a Seltec compressor.

I've got the compressor mounted (on a new bracket I purchased with the compressor) and this weekend I'll mount the new parallel flow condenser. I plan to used the original evaporator and orifice tube, and have new A/C lines made by a local shop. AMA told me to start out with the same amount of R-134a as the original GM recommendation for R-12, and see how it works.

Bruce
Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
I'm in the process of getting the A/C working in my '75 GMC pickup, and have been working with folks at Arizona Mobile Air, who are the sponsors for www.ackits.com. I asked them if they had a suggestion for a better compressor than the A6 (I've had two fail, so I don't consider them very reliable) and they suggested a Seltec compressor.

I've got the compressor mounted (on a new bracket I purchased with the compressor) and this weekend I'll mount the new parallel flow condenser. I plan to used the original evaporator and orifice tube, and have new A/C lines made by a local shop. AMA told me to start out with the same amount of R-134a as the original GM recommendation for R-12, and see how it works.

Bruce
Thanks for the help Bruce,I need it. Good luck on your a/c Johnny
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Last journal entry: Latest pictures.
Last photo:

air condt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewsom
Just curious about any recent A/C intallations - what brand, model, how it works, recomendations, etc. My plan is to use stock big GM compressor (A-6 I think w/r134), the largest parallel flow condensor I can fit in and an aftermarket cool/heat/defrost unit from Vintage Air or Southern Air. This going into a 1952 Chevy Sedan and I'm in south Alabama so I need a lot of cooling capacity. Please share your experience.
Thanks,
Bob
I just put in air condt in my Ferrari kit car in Miami Fl. I bought a hot rod kit from classic air in tampa florida. Nice people and allways ready to help.
It has a polished aluminum compressor from Sandom, smaller than origional equipment, all hoses, evaporator and under dash unit that has seperate heat coils and air condt coils, a three speed fan and dash controls.
My compressor froze up its bearings within 5 miles on its first run. A warranty issue I guess. We'll see. Other than that, all units fit well, were fairly easy to install and I would recomment Classic Auto Air. Look them up on the web. STU

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.