Aftermarket Alarm or Kill Switch? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Aftermarket Alarm or Kill Switch?

I have seen so many electrical problems with Aftermarket Alarms, I can't see straight. I have a customer with one installed a year ago in her car, it has since had starting problems on hot days. Yesterday was hot and humid here, so of course, she was back here complaining about it not starting. She has had it back to the shop that installed it 5 times for this same no start. They say there is nothing wrong with it, and the starter is bad. I disagree! Yesterday her ignition key was hot to touch, as was the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

I tried to un-plug the electrical connector on the switch, and it would not come out. After she left to go to work delivering pizza, she called, saying there was no starting problems. There is no odor from burning electrical wiring, or, connections on this car. 1989 Camaro RS.

While I was looking at it's wiring, I saw the main 10 gauge wires on the harness at the ignition switch, cut and spliced into 14 gauge wires, in and out of the alarm controller. How can the manufacturers of these aftermarket alarms figure 14 gauge wires are going to be able to handle the amps required in the main 10 gauge wires?

I vote to just install a kill switch, using a simple relay tied into the starter crank wire, and another power feed from any other factory switch in the dash, that would have to be turned on to power a leg in the relay.

Besides you never see anyone running out to check their car while the alarm is sounding off!

That's my opinion, What's Yours?

Stephen

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
Besides you never see anyone running out to check their car while the alarm is sounding off!

That's my opinion, What's Yours?

Stephen
Amen!!!

Show of hands. Has ANYBODY here ever called the cops when you heard a car alarm going off (other than to complain about the noise)?

Didn't think so.

I'm a big fan of the hidden toggle switch.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Aftermarket Alarm or Kill Switch?

Stephen I agree with you 100%, I am a retired Avonics Tech (aircraft electrician---aircraft electronics) and a lot of my friends both in and out of the rodders that I know have come to me with problems with their alarms and the biggest problem that I have found over the years is splicing a smaller gauge wire into a larger gauge wire(usually a main power feed)and it most times cooks something and in a couple of cases ----a fire!. A former co-workers sons pickup burned all the dash wiring resulting in a total of the truck.
I designed a anti-theft and warning system back in 90s for my wife's Mustang. If I can find the prints for it I'll post them for all to see .It's simple and cheap and very easy to Install.

Later
Kenny
Old 06-15-2008, 03:02 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

smaller gauge wire into a larger gauge wire(usually a main power feed)and it most times cooks something and in a couple of cases ----a fire!. A former co-workers sons pickup burned all the dash wiring resulting in a total of the truck.

I have yet to see a fire started by one, but, I am very concerned with this one. A new ignition switch had to be ordered from L.A. for this car, and there was nothing else I could do at the time.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:06 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Amen!!!

Show of hands. Has ANYBODY here ever called the cops when you heard a car alarm going off (other than to complain about the noise)?

Didn't think so.

I'm a big fan of the hidden toggle switch.
Just yesterday I adjusted the sensitivity on a motion sensor in a Yukon to the minimum position, and have not heard back as of yet, whether the alarm woke them up in the middle of the night or not.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

I designed a anti-theft and warning system back in 90s for my wife's Mustang. If I can find the prints for it I'll post them for all to see .It's simple and cheap and very easy to Install.

I would like to see anyones input into this matter. Fresh innovations are always welcome to me, and others I am sure.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Could you run those 14ga wires through one side of a relay? That way the 10ga wire remains largely intact.

Stephen, what kind of car did your customer have?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Could you run those 14ga wires through one side of a relay? That way the 10ga wire remains largely intact.

Stephen, what kind of car did your customer have?
The car is a 1989 Camaro RS that came factory with a TBI 305 SBC.

These 14 gauge wires were not run through a relay by the "professional" installer. They could be, but, Why Bother?

The Red 10 gauge, and Yellow 10 gauge wires were bypassed for sure. The other 2 were hard to see.

It's still starting and I won't see it again until it quits.(or I order Pizza)
Old 06-15-2008, 06:50 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
These 14 gauge wires were not run through a relay by the "professional" installer. They could be, but, Why Bother?
Of course the "professional" wouldn't do it. That would take too long and cost more money. They couldn't pump as many cars through. It seems as though most "professional installers" around here that work at major car audio outlets are 19 or 20 year olds just out of high school.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I was a repossessor for awhile, a car alarm meant absolutely nothing to me, I would drive away with the thing blaring away, but if I got into a car & it didn't start right away I left, I wasn't going to sit there & look for a kill stitch, that's how you get hurt
Rich
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Kill switch for me. I put a few alarms in (good ones, too) to get cheaper insurance, but they don't last long. They are cheaply built and start failing in weird ways. Not to mention, they're all built mostly the same, so a car thief knows quick ways to disarm them. A hidden kill switch is different for every car, so they won't take the time to dig around and find it. I did one car that I wired a relay to the reverse light switch on a manual tranny. It would only start in reverse.

... of course it would also start if you jumpered the HEI and used a screwdriver on the starter post... but as far as hotwiring it under the dash it was enough that a thief would be baffled long enough to give up.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Kill switch for me. I put a few alarms in (good ones, too) to get cheaper insurance, but they don't last long. They are cheaply built and start failing in weird ways. Not to mention, they're all built mostly the same, so a car thief knows quick ways to disarm them. A hidden kill switch is different for every car, so they won't take the time to dig around and find it. I did one car that I wired a relay to the reverse light switch on a manual tranny. It would only start in reverse.

... of course it would also start if you jumpered the HEI and used a screwdriver on the starter post... but as far as hotwiring it under the dash it was enough that a thief would be baffled long enough to give up.
This is what I am talking about.

Make it hard to steal, and not annoy everyone within ear shot!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:10 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

A relay to the starter that only works while the cigarette lighter is powered up. I used an led light that plugs in and powers up the relay. Don't use it any more but I may again some day, if you try to steal my car I will have to beat you to death
Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm in the process of wiring the AVATAR car. First of all, it has a main battery kill switch, then next, it has a keyed switch for the MSD ignition line. Alarms are fine if the car is in your driveway when it goes off - then you can do 'something'. Parked in the street no one will even take more then a moments notice of just some more noise and the fact that some "dummy" set off his alarm by mistake. As a note, a friend had a brand new top of the line Honda (...never was able to train him about ricers) had it wired with an alarm and remote start system - the alarm company bought him an even newer one a few days later after it burned to the ground in their lot.

Dave W
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Last photo:

If someone is intent on stealing your car (not just a passing thief), there is very little you can do to prevent it IMO. My 34 has the battery in the trunk with a MaxiFuse behind the panel in the trunk. When I park the car where I will not be around it I pull the MaxiFuse which kills the power to the fuse panel. Sure it can be worked around...but it will take a little effort and a amateur thief will not go to the trouble. I'm banking on the thief not having a MaxiFuse in his/her pocket .

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.