Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Aftermarket IFS vs S10 chassis?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One also has to weigh in appearance and ascetics when he is done and the finished project is being driven on the road and taken to events if that is the plan. That is on reason I am more inclined to want to go with and aftermarket crossmember kit rather than a bulky chassis and front crossmember or subframe.

I did run a Camaro subframe under the front of my 48 for a number of years and it drove like a slot car on a good track but I didn't like the clunky look of it nor the hassle with the front sheet metal.

I'm not totally anti S-10 as I have a spare AD truck cab and pieces that may go on one in the future but the price of S-10 doners in this area has skyrocketed to the point where there isn't much of a saving if you have a good frame under your rig to begin with.

But if the Jeep's original frame is hacked up due to crude engine swaps in the past and many Jeeps had extremely crude engine swaps in the 60's then the S-10 swap would be a lot more practical.

I think what MartinSr and I are both trying to say is that it may be more practical in the long run to use a "good solid" stock frame and run a crossmember kit and rear end swap in most rigs than buy into the S-10 swap thing.