Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Aftermarket IFS vs S10 chassis?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Aftermarket IFS vs S10 chassis

Looks means a lot to everyone especially the guy driving (me). I hate to see those swaps where the tires are sticking out from under the front fenders. I always say to myself, there is a Camero, Monte Carlo, Malibu or etc swap where the guy didn't measure well and can not afford to buy offset wheels or doesn't know how to narrow the front end.
Almost everyone advised me to put disc brakes on my dropped axle '29 roadster. I didn't like the look. I wanted the "old" 50's Hot Rod look but I wanted something better than the old "juice" brakes. So I put '53 F100 backing plates, radiased the inside bearings and used '66 F100 shoes and hardware. I have the look I wanted and I have self adjusting drum brakes on the front as well as the back. And it stops well enough for me. The disc brakes would have been about the same price.
I drive the '29 maybe 100 miles a month even in good weather. I put 250K miles on my 94 Jimmy and never minded the ride. So on my '48 two door I opted for an S10 front clip because I want to drive it long distances, it was in my price range and capabilities. I opted to put my money into the swap rather than into repairing the '48 suspension. But that's just me, someone else may want to go another way. And that OK.