Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Aftermarket IFS vs S10 chassis?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

steering problems with S-10 swaps

I started a S-10 frame swap with a '39 Ford fordor body years ago. Just gets worked on intermittanley. I made a plywood template to match the stock frame and laid it on the S-10 frame and cut it to match the top profile. Channelled the body over it for a better stance.Located the motor mounts to put my 2007 5.3 with 1802 miles on it so it was close to the firewall. Looks good but the steering is driving me nuts.Tried moving the box over 2 1/4" and tilted it just a little. That, even with the center link lengthed in the proper spot, caused too many issues with the way the steering moves. Now I am working on installing a center-steer rack and when I figure out how to turn the hydraulic control part for better hose placement, hopefull I can continue at a much faster pace since I retired two months ago. Martinsr, I agree with 90% of your posts. At the time I was a single dad with my son in a private school. It was S-10 or nothing. Now I am much better financially and wish I still had my stock frame.I am above average at fabrication and have many resources available so I hope I can make this work. Thanks to everyone for all the comments on this. Steve