Aftermarket Panels for 63 Pontiac Catalina - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Aftermarket Panels for 63 Pontiac Catalina

I am considering a 63 Pontiac Catalina that will need some panel replacement. Does anyone sell this stuff?

Thx.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

The big pontiacs of that era are relatively rare as far as restorations go. I don't think there are any restoration panels available - you'll have to find used ones.

For other parts, Ames Performance Engineering is finally starting to produce some of the early 60s big-pontiac parts like trim and some interior stuff.

Still, there's very little out there right now (I have a '62 GP). For some reason, there seems to be a lot more available for the later ('65/'66) big ponchos than the earlier 60s.

On the good side, I've found that the big pontiac stuff (used) is still relatively available (check ebay). Most of the mid-size stuff was gobbled up long ago to be used on GTOs and GTO-clones.

You would have to check to be certain, but I believe most body panels are interchangeable between Bonneville/Catalina/Executive/Parisienne/Grand Prix/Safari (front panels) for most of the 60s (within the same year). Its the trim parts that prove difficult to scare up as they are typically unique to the model.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

thanks ckucia-

very good information. what have you found about frame and suspension? are there any aftermarket parts available to improve the handling? i posted a similar Q in suspension, brakes section... maybe answer in there would be better.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Haven't found much - I haven't played with the car for a few years, but I try to keep my eyes open so when i get back to it, I'm current with what's available.

One major problem on mine is that the front frame rails appeared to have sagged inwards, making the front wheels unalignable. I've heard this is a problem with some GTOs and that moog makes offset control arm rods to compensate, but I haven't looked into them to see if they would work.

When I get back to it, I'm not sure what I'll do. One major thing I would address is the drum brakes. In a word, they suck, especially on a heavy car like this. Unless you're running the 8-lug Pontiac wheels, I'd try to find some way to at least get disks on the front, if not all the way around.

Next thing that comes to mind is the steering. Its closer to the Queen Mary than to a modern car. I suspect there are other boxes that could be swapped in which would give better feel and quicker response.

One big issue with these cars, probably any of that era, is they were redesigned from year-to-year with a lot more changes than occured later.

Example, the 60, 61, 62, and 63 bodies are radically different. 62 seems to share the same roofline (creases to simulate a ragtop) as the 62 Chevys, but I'm not sure if anything else is common underneath. 63 and 64 share some similarity. 65 and 66 are nearly identical bodywise. When you get into the mid to late 70s, Pontiac ran almost the same body from 71 to 75 on the big cars.

A lot also depends on if you're going for a restoration, or more into rodding/updating. The latter opens up a lot more possibilities and more modern solutions.

You're never going to find the parts availability of something like a GTO, or even a FS Chevy. However, the big Pontiacs do have a bit of a following (as compared to, say FS Oldsmobiles) and they are some of the nicest looking and performing cars in their class from that era. I think you'd be well-served by finding the most complete example you can find though - it might be worth the extra time and frustration in the long run to pay a little more for a good example up front than to find one with pieces missing that you can't locate.

Just as an observation, the 63s seem to be relatively rare, at least in my area. I see a fair amount of 65/66 big cars. Occassionally I see a 64. Rarely do I see 62 and earlier. I don't know if that has to do with popularity now, original sales back when they were new, or just the area I live in.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.