Hot Rod Forum banner

Aftermarket Quarter Panel skins

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  F1 Owner 
#1 ·
Anyone ever have any luck with aftermarket Taiwan quarter skins? I ordered a drivers side and a passenger side full face skin and the passenger side had a couple tiny ripples along the main body line which wasn't too bad to fix however the drivers side was 10 times worse with a lot of ripples, flaws, dents etc from front to back & top to bottom plus it was also bent so i notified the company and sent them pictures which they told me to just throw it away and refunded my payment. They were supposed to be Goodmark skins however the stickers on them said CHL body parts Las Vegas which after doing some research i quickly learned that they all come from the same exact place (Taiwan) no matter what company you buy them from.

I didn't want to chance getting another one from them so i tried a different company, Sherman this time which theirs ended up looking like crap as well so i also sent that one back for a refund and now i don't know what the heck to do as i am tired of getting junk panels and would like to finish my camino as i have been working on it for 5 years now. Auto Metal Direct of course does not make 68-72 el camino quarters so i'm sh** out of luck there as i would have preferred to just get them from there in the first place.

#3 ·
Thank you very much Sam as i really do appreciate the help! Here in PA at least where i'm located there's not much of anything left in the salvage yards that's older than like around 1985 give or take a couple years. I just checked at the place that you said about as well and hopefully i can get a good used original G.M. panel which would be great. The only thing that i am wondering about though is if they will take it off and ship it to me or if i would have to go get it myself as some of those places that have the panels available are like 2,500+ miles away? Thanks again, Rick

#4 ·
I know it's a stupid question, but how bad is the one on the car? I LOATH reproduction sheet metal and will do anything to avoid using it. At the very least buy the panel and cut it up and use it for patch panels instead of replacing the whole thing?

Brian

Reactions: HotRodRick
#5 ·
Just keep checking and narrow the search area and you may find what you need closer to you.. Also that site has a field where you can order a part that is not listed as the yards do not always list all parts that they may have on hand..

Sam

#6 ·
Hi Brian, That's not a stupid question at all! I wish i could do that however it was previously repaired with a half skin on both sides and was a complete mess as they had the skins on there so dang crooked plus they were warped up from some yoyo that apparently couldn't weld that i honestly had no other choice but to remove the entire panels plus both outer wheel wells/housings needed to be replaced as well. If i could go back and do it all over though i would leave this friggin car where the he** it was and buy something else! Rick

#9 ·
Hi Brian, Definitely a real bummer! On the other hand though i guess i can't complain too much as the camino came with a nicely built / very strong running 1969 396 BB with receipts that has $3,200.00 into it alone, Rebuilt muncie m22 4spd with a mr gasket v gate shifter and a rebuilt #4 series 12 bolt posi rear with 4.30 gears, A new interior kit still in the box, New bumpers, A new 4" cowl glasstek fiberglass hood, A metal SS hood plus a couple boxes of extra misc parts. The guy was moving from PA to AZ and couldn't take it with him plus he needed the money as quickly as possible and was asking $3,900.00 obo. I got it the way it sat for $3,000.00 which i think was a really good deal to me no matter what way i look at it. As soon as i get a good drivers side quarter on her she'll be A sweet ride again! Rick

#10 ·
You could also check with Desert Valley Auto Parts, they may be able to cut you the entire rear quarter section of the car from a rust free Southwest area original car...you'd get basically the entire rear quarter area, inner and outer wheel housings, several inches of bed floor, tail panel, drop off/close-out panels, inner sail area, door jamb inner, etc....you separate away what you need for your repair once it is delivered to you.

#16 ·
Aftermarket Quarter Skins

Hi Again,
Browsing Craigslist again tonight, that quarter, and wheelhouse is now $25.00 cheaper! And as of Saturday they were still for sale. I can't believe SOMEONE doesn't need them. If I had the space to store them, they would be mine!!!
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.