aftermarket tailgate ok? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

aftermarket tailgate ok?

I recently bought a 1998 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 automatic extended cab. loaded ect... needs some rust repair, like a tail gate and a lower door patch on the pass side... I'v been looking for used tail gates but can't find anything thats decent.. cost from Tasca Ford parts is $219+ ship, and an aftermarket is around $100/ shipped.

if the Aftermarket will fit good. I will buy that, but if it won't fit well, I'll go for the OEM Ford peice..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Take it for what its worth but what I've heard is that ALL aftermarket sheet metal is made "Offshore" and its crap. Thin gauge and poor fit, I would keep looking for a used OEM piece.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

that's what I'v heard too. just was hoping there was an exception to the rule.. I'm probably going to buy a good door and swap the guts, because of the fitinment issues I'm sure will arise from a patch panel I know is made in China ( LMC says so ).. my experience with aftermarket Ford Ranger parts only goes as far as the plastic front end peices, and a front bumper that fit well. the bumper was actually made by Certi-fit ( or as most say Sorta- Fit ) but it fit well, altho the chrome wasn't OEM quality it was still good..

I'v found lots of decent used 1's, but they all have dents to the top of the gate, which on a '93+ Ranger is pretty well non repairable due to the body line being right there
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I can't remember where i got my tailgate from it has been a few years. But it did fit decent and looked good till i was driving down the road and the whole side of it came apart and fell off hit the ground. Never used it again but it just wasen't welded properly from the factory i guess. It's just hard to get good after-market body parts that work well. I think most will need more work before you can install them been my experience anyway.JMO I would pay the $119 difference get a factory piece if i could if i were you ,JMO

Cole
Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

yea. I gotta figure up the savings from getting it from Tasca Ford parts, or just getting from the dealer parts dept.. list price is $333, and it's $219 from tasca, but shipping might be killer... gonna go to the u pull it just to see if I can find anything good there first tho..
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I've used two on f-250s and they didn't fit too bad. They are a little thinner but better than patching a rusted one. I would think with a little adjustment you should be able to make it fit ok. The after market hoods on a chev pickup -99 fit as good as factory.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

to be a good spammer, you could at least work the links into your 'story'.. it was a nice try but... spammer ( luoxiaosang ) above reported
Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Have you tried car-part.com ? I found lots of tailgates and doors for rangers..as well as other pieces..gotta be some good ones somewhere..!

Sam
Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

I did check Car-part. most of the tailgates that had the 000 damage code were more than a brand new OEM peice from Ford. and outside of my state.. I checked with a large recycler that ships state wide and is tied into the Car-part database, and they have 3. 1 is mint that is $300 ( more than I can get a brand new 1 for ). 1 is decent ( dents in the top region ) and the other is a " work gate "

but I also just remembered another yard that is closer/ tied into the Car-part search and searched them, and they have a mint 000 damage code 1 for $250, and 1 with surface rust starting on the lip for $100, and several work gates for $50 and $75. so I'll have to go and make sure there as good as they say they are.. the workers at that yard give the wrong parts all the time, and are not very pleasant
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
A lot of times doors and tail gates or deck lids are MORE than the new OEM because they are sold as an assy. The tail gates are stolen all the time, soooooo the wrecking yard sells it as an assy priced accordingly compared to the OEM gate, latches, handle, access panel, etc. If you added up all the parts the used is cheaper.

Go for the aftermarket but be ready for a less than stellar fit and finish and possibly a shorter life if you use it hard.

That is the fact, period.

Brian
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

I figured that's why there more.. but some on Car-part are over $1,000.. those are some expensive tailgate guts..

the tailgate that is on it works fine so it could lend all the 'guts', but it's rusted out bad on the bottom and it's perfect and dent free on the top. I could probably cut apart a gate damaged on the top and patch it with clean metal on the lower to fix mine, but that's a lot of work when factory gates are $240

nobody can steal my tailgate.. truck has a hard tonno cover that goes down over the tailgate and has a lock. so it effectivly locks the tailgate
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
I checked with a large recycler that ships state wide and is tied into the Car-part database, and they have 3. 1 is mint that is $300 ( more than I can get a brand new 1 for ).
One possible Plus is if the paint's the right color, slide it on and you're done.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Well using sheet metal from all over in my work and hobbies I can tell you there is a difference. I have seen 3 grades Euro spec, American spec, and Chinese.

The quality in stamping, welding, holding and weight are distinct. Buy a good USA made product and you will be fine.

Plus some products just cant overcome years of use and no real fitting.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
One possible Plus is if the paint's the right color, slide it on and you're done.
it would be very unlikely to be the same color.. my truck is 2 tone, the main color ( vermillion red ) is a pretty common color that was used in 1998 and 1999 and XL/ fleet trucks to 2001. my previous truck, also a 1998 Ford Ranger ( but was 2WD 4cyl ) was also Vermillion Red.. but my new truck is 2 tone with a gun metal grey on the bottom.. lots of these trucks got painted Toedor red with the 2 tone, but not many vermillion red.. Vermillion is the solid bright red, and toedor is the metallic darker red

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.