Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Age old question. Turbo Vs. Supercharger (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/age-old-question-turbo-vs-supercharger-49801.html)

Andyrew 10-15-2004 01:28 AM

Age old question. Turbo Vs. Supercharger

So.... What do you guys think? Do you like a turbo(or two, or 8..) or a supercharger?

We'll make this general and say on a sbc, but the application really doesnt make much diff.... lol

Im highly partial to a turbo because I've been around them and know a bit about them and how to make power from them..

Plus I love the sound...

Ok, pro's and cons to both sides...

Pro turbo,
No loss of power due to belt, (runs off exhaust pressure)
can produce a ton of Psi
efficient design
Better gas milage than supercharger
Great sound

Cons of turbo
Obvious boost lag (big con for 4 cylanders)
plumbing can be a problem
difficult install
inconsistant boost from turbo sometimes

Pro supercharger
Instant power
easyer install
More readily avalible
Great sound

Cons of supercharger
Belt drag at high end
Not for tight fit engine bays
less fuel efficient

Andrew

Gettheledout 10-15-2004 07:35 AM

gotta go supercharger. IDK which is "BETTER" but on a SBC i think a Supercharger is the way to go. Plus it just looks angry. if ur on the street nothing wants to mess with you. But i like to intemidate so thats just me.

rat_guerue 10-15-2004 09:50 AM

well normally i am a supercharger guy, but dont like to put them on 4 bangers, so i dont know

jj

killerformula 10-15-2004 10:02 AM

Turbos are the way to go, much more efficient. Same boost you'll get more power to the wheels with a turbo (less drag with pulley's and such).

They weigh less too.

K

HemmiGremmie 10-15-2004 11:45 AM

Id agree that turbo's are probably more efficiant as far as lighter weight, no big belt to turn and it doesnt take power to make power........But, A turbo in no way matches the looks of a big ole roots blower stickin thru the hood of your car.
So if you want a sleeper then go Turbo, if you want the looks go roots supercharger. HG :thumbup:

oldschoolrods 10-15-2004 12:09 PM

Depends on what your putting it on, if your putting it on but I don't think I'd like a turbo on an old muscle car. Then again I wouldn't like to see a blower sticking out the hood of a honda CRX either :nono:

Forkliftguy 10-15-2004 02:01 PM

I'm partial to turbos, but GM makes a nice roots blower for the quad-4 in my Grand Am which sits neatly under the hood and puts out 40 more horses, downside: CD$5700.

Marc

53LEDSLED 10-15-2004 02:51 PM

check this out

Forkliftguy 10-15-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 53LEDSLED
check this out

That's crazy, That poor crankshaft is probably screaming for sweet mercy! Wonder what it's putting out?

tm454 10-15-2004 05:08 PM

My Riv is Supercharged...gotta love it!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Andyrew 10-15-2004 05:37 PM

Personally I'd go with a turbo for my car.. but thats A: because my trani wouldnt do very nicely with a blower, and B: because I love the TQ curve. C: A blower just wouldnt fit...

Besides, Im used to 4 cyanders with turbo's...

Dady's cars are 944 turbo porsche's... 2.5l turbo with 430 hp with the larger turbo

TurboS10 10-15-2004 09:34 PM

Well, my choice is clear enough.......

I just dont understand the whole turbo lag thing. I am running a very large turbo and there is no lag. It has to do with having the proper setup. If you put a huge turbo on a tiny engine there may be some lag, but with the EFI systems available with ALS(antilag system) control it is not really an issue.

Chris

coldknock 10-15-2004 10:05 PM

That LS1 made about 700 hp at the flywheel. Check this video of Chris Chow's Buick Regal making 1076hp at the rear wheels.

http://www.fasttrackperformance.com/.../ChrisTTGN.wmv

Larry

killerformula 10-15-2004 10:20 PM

lotsa myths about turbos out there, fo sho.

K

Andyrew 10-15-2004 11:48 PM

Chris, the lag is with the 4 cylander and smaller 6 cylander engine's that rely on the turbo. Large v8's have enough tq to not be able to notice the lag..

Putting a small turbo on a 4 will give less turbo lag, but much less hp... and a large turbo (especially a large hot side of the turbo) will cause more turbo lag Thats what lag Im talking about...

Ya, that was a very inefficient use of turbo's on the 8turbo car.. Each turbo produces what, 2psi? geez...

Andrew