Air Bag Eliminators - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 09:13 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air Bag Eliminators

I have a steering column from a Ford Expedition. It is great because it is short, and has all of these great controls on the column. The best part is that it was FREE. The question that I have is, does anyone know of a way to cover the middle of the steering wheel where the air bag goes? Does someone make an "air bag eliminator" to fit in there? Since it is to go into a 26 Touring, I sure don't want an airbag set up there. I may be able to get an airbag to fill it, but they scare me. I don't know of anyway to make sure that it can't go off. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Call your local Ford dealer or a reputable mechanic and they should be able to remove it for you. One thing to consider is that when you get it out it can be resold if in good shape. I have seen them go for a few hundred. A buddy of mine bought a wrecked Vette that had popped the bag. It had a salvage title but the car was not that bad. He rebuilt it for the purpose of resale. The bag was going to cost him over $600 but he was lucky enough to sell it without replacing it. He did have to tell the next owner though that there was no airbag. I found this on an Audi site:

Airbag Removal
(Brian Ulmer)
This is a dangerous operation. You should first consult the Bentley manual for complete instructions and safety information. (i.e., Don't come running to me if somebody gets maimed or killed.)

Disconnect ground strap on battery.
Disconnect airbag disable connector located behind a small panel in the ceiling of the driver's footwell.
Remove the plastic cover over the top of the steering column by removing two screws from the bottom.
Disconnect the airbag connector on the right side of the now open bottom half of the plastic cover.
Unscrew the two torx screws holding the airbag unit in place. There is one on either side which can be accessed through a little hole on the back of the steering wheel.
Remove air bag unit, undo hinged metal clip covering the airbag wire connection and remove the connector.
Place the airbag somewhere where it won't kill anyone if it decides to go off. Face up is preferable.
Reinstall is the reverse of removal.

If you get it out you had better shoot the varmit before it bites anyone. LOL!!!!

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 01-18-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:00 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Evidently I must have described my problem wrong. I know how to remove air bags. The steering column I have is missing the bag anyway. I want something to install in place of the airbag in that big opening. I could also install an air bag in the place, if there is a known foolproof way to make it safe where it CAN'T go off.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

They make replacement covers that goes over them after they popped. Try your local Ford dealer or check some of the free weekly auto mags. We have an AutoTrader that comes out every week and they have had them in it.
http://489parts.com/?OVRAW=airbag%20...OVMTC=standard
http://www.akelastomer.com/eng/eel/p.../g_pp_car.html
http://www.nandosearch.com/Detailed/51311.html

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 01-18-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:40 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Thanks Kevin. I searched and didn't find anything. 2 of the 3 links are exactly what I am looking for. I guess someday I'll figure out this new fangled technology.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Adkart...This is the search engine I use when doing a search. You can open in another window while keeping the original search engine open. Also when you search just type in what you would normally call it. All I typed in was airbag covers If you would have typed in dummy airbags then you end up with a whole different list of items that talks about people selling cars with false / dummy airbags. If your first search does not turn up too many results just rephrase your wording a little bit. Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 01-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Evil as I wanna Be

Last journal entry: First time out in 8 months!
Last photo:

I removed the airbags from my '95 Mustang for drag purposes (mostly weight savings, LOL). I bought my airbag covers from Penncraft Enterprises in Florida. While they get the job done, I nearly had a heart attack when I ripped open the box and saw what I paid $143 for. The covers consist of a styrofoam type material.......the passenger side is completely flat, while the driver's side is shaped like the factory unti, and still allows you to utilize cruise control and the horn. Like I said, it gets the job done, but it's not what I expected. Oh, one last detail.........the covers are "paint to match"...........make sure you use loads of primer, or the stuff will fake right off.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.