Air bag suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air bag suspension

This will be my first time to build a full custom air bag set up in my 83 gmc sierra 1/2 ton longbed. i need to know what to do to get started. like what parts should i get first and what brackets and all the frame cuts and bed cuts. come on help me out this is a long term project and lots of money

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 PM

actually i have not done this job yet myself but would if i could afford it.its not a bad job at all if you have access to the needed tools.if you just punch in air lift suspension on your computer you should find many companies that sell these air bags and have all the instructions you need.for more info punch in air bag suspension articles in truck or 4x4 magazines.shold find everything you need
Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

i have not bagged a truck yet but I do have airbags on my caddy that I did myself with the help of my cousin, so the first thing you have to deciede is what kind of setup you want to go with, air ride has nice setup's and how much space do you have to work with, what kind of tank you want to go with, the heavier the truck the more air you want, you need one compressor for every three gallons of air or you'll be waiting 5 mins to hit on switch and thats another thing how many switches do you want 2,4,or 10. I have ten and thats the way to go. Also air ride makes a bolt on airbag kit for the rear end of chevy trucks no cutting the frame of body and still drop about two or three inches from the ground. try suicidedoors.com,airride.com or go pick up a mini trucking mag. and find everything
Old 03-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

I'd really suggest an engine driven compressor instead of an electric one particularly on something with that amount of room under the hood. First off no annoying "buzz" from a compressor and secondly the amount of cfm's from an EDC will fill that tank up in no time.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

thats true if you can spare about 500 dollars or more for one. And with a non factory stereo you cant here any buzzing
Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

A mini York a/c compressor which can easily be mounted on most engines runs around $100 from just about every retail autoparts chain, the clutch $120 and add maybe $40 for the mouting bracket which several people now make or you can easily fashion yourself. Or you can run to a junkyard and find these parts on most early 80's VW Rabbits for a fraction of that. Never have to worry about duty cycle and your tank is full in under two minutes. Get a decent 200psi electrical compressor and you're looking at $225 or so anyways and if you need two you've just exceeded by a long shot the cost of installing the EDC.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

or you can just go all out and get a couple of nitrous bottles have about 5000psi and hop the whole truck right off the ground about five feet

this truck has one inch steel lines 3/4 valves and about 5200 psi of compressed air. thats the way to go. BIG.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-24734-1135572102.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	10760   Click image for larger version

Name:	post-24734-1135572153.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	10761  
Old 03-15-2006, 02:42 PM

Thats actually 1" Hydro line and he is running 16 3/4" GC800 valves I believe.
Engine driven is the only way to go if you want to play alot.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

5200 psi? Ummm...I am gonna guess about 500psi. There isn't a bag on the market able to take 5200psi. Also that isn't a nitrous tank, that is a nitrogen tank with 3/4" GC800 valves. Those aren't steel lines either. They are high pressure hydraulic lines with crimped ends.
I am seriously doubting that he is wanting to launch his car 5' off the ground.
Later,
WEIMER

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.