Air bag suspension help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 07:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air bag suspension help.

Hey guys im wanting to get an airbag setup for my car front and rear. I was looking at hydraulics but on a pinto? nah airbags sound better. I dont know much about airbags could yall help me pickout a kit for my ride? When I park the car id like it to rest about 2-3 inches from the ground, and when I drive it push switches and make the front low and rear end high. www.suicidedoors.com seem to have alot. Please help thanks, Chris

Advertisement

Last edited by ChrisMiddleron; 07-20-2003 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Ok are you trying to actually bag a pinto or you are using a pinto front crossmember ? What are you running out back?

Tony....
Old 07-21-2003, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

im trying to air bag a pinto using the front crossmember if I can. What do u mean what am I running out back?
Old 07-21-2003, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

The front is a piece of cake.......... it is almoast identical to the Mustang II front end. Is what I ws aking about the rear is if you are planning on doing air or if you were going to leave it on the original rear suspension........... As far as the front goes there are a few manufacturers ( including us ) that make kits specificaly for Mustang II front ends, which should bolt directly in that front crossmember while retaining the OEM control arms and strut rods.

Tony.....
Old 07-21-2003, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Actually now that I think of it my rear air shocks are off of a mustang. I want my car about 1"/2" inches off of the ground so I can put drag blocks on the bottom of the car and give some people a spark show. I dont think just the bags can do this. School me on howto do this if you can please thanks, Chris
Old 07-21-2003, 05:14 PM

I have a fast bag kit with 10 switches brand new

Hey man I have a 10 switch fast bag kit, that i bought for my car about 8 months ago and i could never come up with the money to have them installed. I would have done it myself but im not much of a mechanic. I paid around $1350 for them, it has a 5 gallon tank all the hoses and valves. let me know if you are intersted. I will them go cheap.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Well im woundering if ill have to notch the frame and/or 4 link it the airbags them selvs can wait later in wanting to do all body mods then when im ready ill paint.

I guess ill just email suicide doors and ask for their help thanks

Last edited by ChrisMiddleron; 07-21-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

What kind of chassis are you putting that Pinto front crossmember in and what rear suspension are you using?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

The chassis is stock the rear susupension leaf springs have about 9 inch lift shackles. Then I have gabriel highjackers off of a.... I think early 80's mustang, there double stud'd air shocks. I took a bunch of pictures but they are to big. I need about 1 foot drop on the rear rocker panels and about 10 inch drop in the front. The shackles will be coming off soon. If you would like to see pics just say so. I will be removing the gas tank and getting a fuel cell to notch the unibody if it is needed.

Your right about the mustang havin the same suspension though. Do you think your airbag kit can lower the front of the car about 10 inches with the flick of a switch? The rearend I know im gonna have to modify a little. Please reply thanks, Chris

Last edited by ChrisMiddleron; 07-22-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Do you think id need to get a new chassis to slam it low to the ground? Actually the crossmember has 8 inches clearance so if I get it 8 inches drop just when I park the car and wannt slam it to the ground I can. I just need to find some bags that can handle 8 inches.

Last edited by ChrisMiddleron; 07-22-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Chris........ I doubt you will find anything that will take your front end down 9" out of the box and back up again....... simply because you will end up with ball joint bind way before you get that kind of motion. 5-6" is a safe, achievable number. A kit like ours out of the box will lower the ride 2" from factory height. You can then deflate another 3" from there. If you add a set of 2" drop spindles you would then be looking at a 4" dropped ride height and a total of 7" dropped deflated height. You could then pick it up within a couple inches of stock height. In the rear you are always better off dumping the leafs and installing a four bar set up.

Tony....
Old 08-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Onwer Muscle Syndicate

Airbags

Hey Chris. I agree with Tony. I would get drop spindles, and then get the kit. What bags are in the kit Tony? I have a bagged 68 Camaro that I built front cups for and and working on the rear right now. I have Slam bags and 15mm SMC valves for it. I also have it hooked up to the throttle so when I floor it and have the switch on, the front lifts up hard, and I mean hard...

With regards to throwing sparks... Find the lowest part of the car and install 2 titanium plates and you will throw white sparks for days... It looks awesome and will draw attention..

I have a bagged 97 Tahoe that was in Truckin a couple of months ago and it throws sparks for days..

Let me know if there is anything else I can help out with.

Whytry
Old 12-24-2003, 05:12 AM

Last journal entry: Hot Rod Cadillac

You will be really close to laying it out if you install the air ride in the front with 2" drop spindles and install a 4link in the rear. I'm sure someone that does the drag race chasis has a bolt on four link for your car.

Just don't drag the gas tank!! HAHA

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.