Air Bags - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 AM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air Bags

Anyone with experience on airbags for cars in 30's? Is there an economical approach?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Air Bags

It is possible to go with an economical approach as shown by berkelusa who has a journal on this site:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...24&action=view

He also has a web site (air bag system starts on page 8):

http://www.ammoman.com/chevy/

This will give you some idea's how to approach such a system. If you have the creative and practical skills you can do it without buying a manufactured system. If not there is several companies out there that will supply you with a kit.

As well you can use the search link at the top of the page to look at what has been talked about on this site. Just type in air bags and you'll find lots of info.

You will get a lot more answers if you re-enter your question in the suspension forum.

I just realized maybe you where really looking for info on air bags as they related to accident air bags. If so disregard the above.

Last edited by home brew; 03-25-2006 at 11:44 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-26-2006, 07:14 AM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Yes Accident Type Air Bags

Sorry for confusion....
At my age, I often forget there is something new out there called air bag suspension systems...I'm referring to airbags for deployment upon impact. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

I was told that late model steering columns have the impact sensors built right into the column. (Previous designs had impact sensors out on the front of the car.) So it should be as simple as retrofitting a late model column into your car.

Depending on what look you are after this is likely easier said than done, especially in a 30's vintage car. However if you are not going for a vintage interior look, I would think it could be accomplished. Some of the newer columns (like the '06 Mustang) even has a smaller sized steering wheel insert.

I also have contemplated swapping columns to obtain the safety of air bags, but for a 60's musclecar, which should be considerably easier.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

There is a whole lot more involved than just a bag in a column! Just the Bio-science and kinematics involved here are way more than I can go into. The everyday guy absolutely does not have the information available to them for a one off job.

Between the triggering system to the belts there is far too much involved to set one up and in the end it could be more of a safety negative rather than a positive.

If you or your passenger actually need an airbag during a crash there is a high possibility of it breaking your neck or damaging your internal organs.

Trust me with 2 little kids and a wife that want to go everywhere with me in my 50 ford. I can understand the want, but old cars have an inherent disadvantage in safety that should be considered by all users when deciding on when and where to drive them. Belt adds are one thing, but an unproven Pyrotechnic device staring you in the face doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

The speed of and trajectory of an airbag is highly tuned to many factors to prevent additional external and internal injury. If you miss any one of the involved factors there is an EXTREME likelihood of a broken neck, face, sternum and severely damaged heart!

Please don't put one in a Hot Rod, if you want an airbag system in a car stick with a factory installed car.

We have been modifying them and improving them as a System every year to reduce the factors and believe me they are tuned to the vehicle they are in. It takes over a year to design and validate a system. The interactions on the design sheets are literally in the hundreds of pages.

Last edited by creativeinteriors; 03-27-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:22 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Oops!

OK...You got my attention....you actually raised a number of concerns I had plus more.....So....I'll keep it like Henry built it...Thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Joe, I appreaciated the question actually. Thanks for your reconsidering.

I really believe Hot Rodders are some of the most creative guys in the world. But there are a few areas that we need to be truely careful of.

Its one thing for your ride to leave you on the side of the road but its another for it to put you in a ditch or worse. Have a good one!!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:25 AM

I am really glad that this was posted! The idea of adding an air bag restraint had crossed my mind, but after reading these posts, I can see that this is definitely not a hot rod option!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.