Air bags, yes they save your life, but they don't save you from injury. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Air bags, yes they save your life, but they don't save you from injury.

This is something shops see way too often. It seems like it is mostly the domestics, the cars that have a low re-sale to begin with. The bags blow, and wham, the car is a total as this Focus is. Yes, there was some structual damage under the bumper, but nothing much more than the bumper absorber, reinforcement and a bolt in composit rad support. Next to nothing on the hood or fenders, we are talking metal finishable damage needing no filler, the damage is that minor.
Regular seat belts would have been PLENTY in this accident. Hell, just lap belts would have done the job let alone the modern shoulder belts that this car has.

A minor crash like this no doubt HURT these people with those air bags going off in their face.

This little car was CLEAN, what a shame, it is off to the "re-cycle" yard. The sad part is, I will guarantee as sure as poop stinks, this car will be back on the road as a "rebuilder" with out air bags!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

UGH! Thats what my wife drives a 2000 Zx3

The Hocus pokus mucus pukus mobile

Its been a OK driver & is obviously good on fuel. But I hate being in it. when you ride along side a semi & can look over @ the top of a 22.5 wheel @ speeds over 50 makes me uncomfortable ....VERY

I don't know why they are so quick to junk these things .possibly to use up that deal they have with the new car industry & new car sales ?

Disposable cars .

My wife needs two rims

At this point it most likely will be sold at the auction or go to the Bone yard. where it still could wind up back on the road ..if the Bone Yarder is a little sly & its a quick fix.

What I can't stand is they just junk it & charge it off as a total loose while insurance rate go up & up. I guess this could be how they insure they use up or make it look like they use up the money.

You notice you never get a refund check @ the end of the year if you didn't have any problems?

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
UGH!
I don't know why they are so quick to junk these things .possibly to use up that deal they have with the new car industry & new car sales ?
I have to tell you Rob, it is just the opposite many times. The resale is SO high on many cars like Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys that we fix those darn cars with MUCH worse damage.

Old Camrys, 10 or 15 year old cars, the insurance company will spend thousands of dollars on them. This little Focus, just a couple years old goes off on the hook for less. It amazes me I'll tell you that.

Brian
Old 11-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

when i was workin at ed shults of warren a dude came in with a broken nose
'cuse his airbag went off in his new car for no reason didn't hit a thing seriously.
don't know what kind of car though didn't see it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.