Air compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air compressor

I am about to buy a new air compressor. I like the price/performance of the Puma. I am torn between the two cylinder model and the three cylinder model. PK6060 vs PN6560. The two cylinder puts out about 10 CFM at 90, and the three cylinder model puts out about 13.5 at 90. I would like to be able to run a DA, but some folks I have talked to say that neither will be enough. The three cylinder model is about $130 more. I have considered an electric random orbit sander like the Porter Cable 7336. It is $100 at Lowes. I have decided that the three cylinder is worth it if it will run a DA much better. If neither will, then I will opt for the two cylinder and get the electric random orbit. What do you guys think? Those of you that have 10 cfm @90 compressors - do they run a DA adequately? Anyone tried using the PC 7336 for body work? I would also be interested in good/bad about the Puma?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 03:10 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

even if you don't run the sander the bigger unit will run an impact gun and such better also.I have the p.c. impact gun and it works o.k.on mine wich has 125 lb. max. pressure,i took it to my buddies (his is 150 lb. max) it was like a new tool,way better performance.
my suggestion is to buy the very best you can afford.mike
Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Old enough to know better

You will NEVER wake up in the middle of the night and say, "I bought too big of a compressor." The reverse might happen.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:22 AM

How much is too much? If I wanted to, I could fork out the dough for a 2 stage 80 gallon unit. It takes up significantly more room though, and at some point I have to leave room to be able to work on the car. I have already got more tools than room to put them.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Hi Guys!

I did a lot of research on this before buying-I bought through Grainger's (usually their prices are pretty high), and bought a SpeedAire (which is Campbell Hausfield). They offer a 80 gallon tank, 15.8 CFM Single stage unit, 4 cylinder, 5 h.p. that is hard for me to run out of air with (although it is possible ). I don't know what your budget is, but I think I paid about $950.00 for it about a year ago. I am not necessarily a two stage fan for a Hobbiest-I just bought one today (Ingersoll Rand 2 Stage, 10 h.p., 35 CFM-best price $2999.99 through Northern Tool-includes Freight) for our business, but most of us don't need over 120 p.s.i. so why bother? I am not familiar with the Puma, so i can't offer any advise-

Craig
Old 12-10-2004, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

i dont think there are any of us that need the 175 psi that a 2 stage can deliver it just puts more air into the tank to give a higher reserve capacity. not too familiar with the puma brand either. i also have an ingersoll 7.2 2 stage and think its awesome. i put a link below, i hear they are a very high quality compressor too. never saw one in person, just word of mouth.

www.eatoncompressor.com
Old 12-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Old enough to know better

Why 2-stage?
Number 1 - They are more efficent, you get more air for the same electricity.
2 - If you have ever run air hammers or impact wrenches on higher pressure, you know there is a big difference.
3. Less pressure loss in your piping system. It's easier to get full volume to your air-hog HVLP or DA.
4. More standard cubic feet of air in the storage tank so the compressor runs less often.
5. 2-stage units are usually better constructed and will last longer with fewer problems.
6. (In my case) it will run a 1" impact wrench.

My personal feeling is that one or two guys will be happy with a 5 to 7.5 HP 2-stage compressor putting out 17 to 23 cfm. Unless you are in an industrial environment with 480 volt, 3-phase power available, 10 HP is about the practical size limit.
Also, I refer to true HP, not the inflated number a lot of people claim. The true measure is the CFM rating.

As far as floor space, the difference between a 40 gallon and a 60 gallon vertical tank is not that much.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

I bought the Quincy QTV-54, 4 cylinder 2 stage, 60 gallon. ~16cfm at 175psi. I am extremely pleased with this compressor! It has handled everything I have done to date including sandblasting the chassis of my latest restoration. It is fairly quiet and very efficient. I bought it through harbor freight for $879.

The cfm rating on this compressor was slightly lower than some of the other models in a similar price, IR, Puma, etc but I went with Quincy for the reliability. My work always runs Qunicy's and they go for years on end being abused and not even rebuilt.

kev
Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by julmer
You will NEVER wake up in the middle of the night and say, "I bought too big of a compressor." The reverse might happen.
Wiser words were never spoken.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.