Air compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air compressor

I am in the market for a new compressor. Does anyone have one of these IR's and what do you thing about it.

17.1 CFM @ 90 P.S.I. 230V Two-Stage 11.8 H.P. Peak 175 Max. P.S.I. On-Site Service

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

I am familiar with that unit and I will recommend it Most of the specs listed are about right with the exception of that outrageously ridiculous "peak" HP rating. I am guessing that outfit is at Northern Tool or Tractor Supply? Both companies are notorious for selling big name units like that Ingersoll with those inflated numbers, In the real world it has a true 5 HP motor rated at around 28 AMPs, no matter it is still a really good outfit for the money and if you take care of it it will take care of you for long time
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have a IR T30 that is used every day in my shop, I couldn't ask for a better compressor, it runs everything that I can throw at it. The only down side is, its very noisy . I do believe that if IR makes it, it is of good quality.

Steve
Old 02-14-2006, 05:26 AM

Mine is a 60 gal IR, I've had it for about 3 years love it, but it is noisy as mentioned.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Kevin, How much is that compressor? I am looking for a better one for the house.

thanks

Steve
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

I have one that is very similar in my garage. I should have gone with the 175PSI model, as 90PSI won't let me get the most out of my air tools. When I was turning wrenches full time, we ran 150PSI all the time. All the air tools rate themselves for 90PSI operation so I thought I would do O.K., but now I wish I had gone to a higher working pressure. the max rating is not what you want to look at, you want to look at the working pressure. The max rating is when the tank will explode or the compressor will fail, and the working pressure is where the regulator is set, and that is where it will run all the time. ALSO, that electric motor on top there soes not look like an 11.5 HP model, it looks like a 5HP model. Take a look at this picture to see what the 5HP model looks like, and compare it to your picture. This is a professional 5hp model designed for a commercial repair shop, and it looks just like your picture.
http://www.aktoolsandequipment.com/p.../IR-TS51N5.jpg
Old 02-15-2006, 03:48 AM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Quote:
Kevin, How much is that compressor? I am looking for a better one for the house.
That particular compressor at the local TSC Farm store is $999.99
Old 02-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Here is something that throws a wrench into the works....I was looking for different distributors as no one around here has any. All of the stores that carries compressors are out for some reason other than carrying the smaller compressors. They say they are having a hard time getting them in and they are all on back order. I imagine it is because of the steel we are shipping to China. Anyways, I ran across the Class Action lawsuit deal (which I knew about)CLASS ACTION SUIT But what I didn't know was this....There are only three main players in the compressor field...Cambell-Hausfield, DeVilbiss, and Powermate. But there are 53 different name compressors that are dividied up among those three with DeVilbiss holding the share of names at 33.
The bad thing is....I can't find a compressor anywhere
Old 02-15-2006, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Kevin, While that lawsuit is a step in the right direction it mostly only applies to the 110 volt "tire pumpers" and these rascals are still using the inflated numbers on the larger non-industrial units. Also the three outfits you mention are indeed the biggest marketers of small compressors but not necessarily the builders of everything they sell since most of the lower end compressors they have on the market under different names are imported. Hopefully this number inflation nonsense is coming to an end but, for now, BEWARE! Also be aware of their latest scam which uses inflated CFM ratings, if you see a compressor with a "tank assisted" CFM rating DON'T FALL FOR IT! it is pure nonsense!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:40 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

Good article on the class action suit. 'Bout time this came to light.

Now, lets talk about availibility.

All compressors, of the large, shop rated type are made to order. I just talked with Ingersol Rand, and they don't stock any, and I mean any at all. When a customer calls for a compressor, they build it according to the specs given. You must specify voltage, phase, size of tank, working pressure, max pressure, horizontal or vertical. Currently, they ship an order 21 working days from the time of order. Also, they charge an additional $120.00 for a liftgate truck, which you need if you don't own a forklift to get it off the truck. So, when you order one, you will get it 6-8 weeks from the time you order. If you are browsing a website, make sure you check to see if the unit is "Fully Packaged". If it is, then it comes with the following: Aircooled Aftercooling unit, Low oil level Switch, Electric Automatic Drainvalve, Eseries Magnetic Starter. You can order a barebones unit without the aforementioned parts, just make sure to check your oil and water levels regularly. The IR brand comes with a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty. Maybe this will shed a little light on the subject. And, I support the previous post of Buyer Beware. If you are doing any amount of repair work, then a 110 Volt unit will be worked very hard. Go for a 220 Volt unit.

Last edited by TechnTool; 02-15-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.