Air compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air compressor

I am thinking of buying a Air compressor, what things should I look for and what brand would you recommend/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 11:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

nothing with just CFM or ACFM ratings, only SCFM ratings, and make shure it puts out at least 12 SCFM, with at least a 60 gal tank.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here are the links that were found to threads on this site when I typed in air compressor in the search function. Happy reading!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sear...earchid=547560
Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
nothing with just CFM or ACFM ratings, only SCFM ratings, and make shure it puts out at least 12 SCFM, with at least a 60 gal tank.
What is CFM and ACFM ratings, and SCFM ratings?
How about a 26 gal tank
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NutCase
What is CFM and ACFM ratings, and SCFM ratings?
How about a 26 gal tank
ACFM is accumulated Cubic Feet per Minuite, it is a garbage number that tells you the compressor has a big tank with a less than adaquate pump because the pump makes the CFM, not the tank, and due to the large tank, you may momentarily see the rated ACFM. CFM is cubic feet per minuite, dosn't say weather it is ACFM or SCFM, your taking a chance if you buy it. SCFM is the real deal, it is the actual amount of CFM the pump will generate. all compressors have some form of a CFM rating, and all air tools have a cfm requirement listed. a compressor with a 26 gal tank will most likely put out 5-8 SCFM @ 90 psi and would run most air tools. but if you want to run most anything than you need a 230v compressor that will pump at least 12 SCFM, and all that I know of have at least a 60 gal tank.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Here is a good place to start-From the knowledge base

www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

Next questions would be what are your intentions for it? Do you intend it for just air tools such as impact wrenches or do you think maybe some body work/painting? Is possibly some sandblasting or a bead blast cabinet in your future? How much will you use it? How much are you willing to spend? As a rule of thumb get the biggest compressor you can afford however no sense in spending a bunch on something you will not need so basicaly look at the CFM requirements on the largest tool you will be running and go from there.

SCFM-Standard Cubic Feet per Minute

ACFM-Actual Cubic Feet per Minute

Don't get confused by the term "Actual" since "Standard" CFM is what is commonly used however "Actual" CFM is ok if that is what they are using. Here is the kicker- Some less than honest, actually a lot of them, compressor makers are using ACFM to mean "Assisted" CFM as in "Tank Assisted" and this is total non-sense so if you find one of these you would do well to pass on it because it is a sales gimmick. Matt is right about 12 CFM being about the least usual usable size however you can get by with as little as 10 CFM if you are not planing on high use tools such as DA sanders or HVLP paint guns, even these can be used if you are willing to play the wait and catch up game with your compressor. Buying a compressor can be confusing to say the least due to the misleading and sometimes downright dishonest sales tactics so give us a little more info and we will see if we can guide you through it Also there has been a ton of discussion here in the last year or so and a search on compressors may help or just scroll down a few pages since some are not that far back at all.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Matt, We must have been typing at the same time What you are saying is right on and very sound advice. "Accumulated CFM" and "Assisted CFM" is the same thing based on the same principle which is pure non-sense and as you said a garbage number. This is just one more example of the unnecessary confusion one will encounter when looking at compressors.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

I know my compressor system is less than adaquate and it is a pain, because my 3" cut off tool will run it out of air quickly, and I have been needing to use it lately to fabricate panals. even with the 7 gal 2hp compressor ( 4.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI ) and my little 2 gal 1/4hp compressor ( 3.3 SCFM @ 90 ), dosn't cut it. the little compressor certinly helped tho. I will eventully hook my new compressor system in tandem with the old home made compressor ( with the hot water heater tank ) via a 100' length of hose, and run that too, it's in an entirely diffrent location ( 100' away ) than the main compressor system so if it does blow, nobody will be around to get harmed. tho it hasn't been fired up in about 2 months, so I don't even know if it still works, hopefully it does, I'll probably need the extra air to paint my car.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Matt, I know it is easy for me to spend your money but you should try to justify getting a decent 12 SCFM compressor like the others are saying. A good compressor is close to a once in a lifetime expenditure. Get a good one now, and chances are it will last you for the rest of your life. Heck, you may end up passing it on to your kids. When you look at it this way, the big dollars up front is actually very cheap amoritized over 20-30 years. Your homemade system is likely to cause repeated headaches, not to mention the safety issues. Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Fireboat, You must be talking about a Quincy! Those things are just about indestructible and I know of one in particular (gas powered) that has been in service for nearly thirty years. This thing has gone through a couple of engines but that pump is still going strong, it is used a lot too not just on occasion. Around the mines here those Quincey's were quite common for many years and became legendary for their dependability, they are a bit pricey but if taken care of they are a one time investment.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

only problem with getting a large compressor is there all 230V and my shed dosn't have 220V hookups, only 110v. What my compressor system is right now, is 2 compressors and 2 storage tanks tied togther, with black iron pipe and air hose, and feeds 4 regulators, 1 is a oiler, another is a filter/ regulator, and the other 2 are standard duty Craftsman regulators. there is a shut off valve going to the storage tanks. I have 1 outside hose reel of 50' that is hooked up to unregulated air, that's what I can drag over 50' to meet the 50' hose on the old compressor. I would buy a good compressor and wire for 220v but I don't have the money now for ither. I just went out, put a new blade in my 3" cut off tool and it cuts a lot better, faster, will cut with less air preassure than b4. I burnt the old wheel up cutting metal, it's an HF tool with the original wheel it came with, I bought a 10pk on sale at HF for 4.99 and there 100% better than the original.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

Matt, Have you tried a 4" or 4 1/2" electric angle grinder with a cut off wheel? If you don't have one HF has them for about 15 bucks and they also have the DeWalt brand cut off wheels for the electric grinder. Get the 4 1/2" cut off wheel regardless of which grinder you use and the DeWalt wheels are a far better buy than the HF ones because they cut better and last longer.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Me and my dad have an electric dewalt 4.5 inch grinder and I can tell you that thing is awesome, I believe we picked it up on sale for around 50 bucks, bit more expensive than HF but an awesome grinder.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

Oldschool, Have you tried the cut off wheels on that thing? Cuts through sheet metal like the old "hot knife through butter"
Old 07-14-2006, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Matt, Have you tried a 4" or 4 1/2" electric angle grinder with a cut off wheel? If you don't have one HF has them for about 15 bucks and they also have the DeWalt brand cut off wheels for the electric grinder. Get the 4 1/2" cut off wheel regardless of which grinder you use and the DeWalt wheels are a far better buy than the HF ones because they cut better and last longer.
I don't personally have 1, I'v borrowed my grandfathers b4, course, I was using a grinding wheel with it, and not a cut off wheel. getting 1 of those has crossed my mind.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.