Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
Oldred:

Acknowledging that you've forgotten more about this subject than I'll ever know, I own this compressor and I'm not sure it's as bad as you think.

I raced it against a Harbor Freight compressor rated at around the same CFM and found it to be about twice as fast at filling a tank. With a 1/8" sandblaster tip, this thing will hold 90psi forever. Maybe it is 14cfm, but as a practical matter, I can't find a way to outrun it.

I haven't had any problems with durablility, though that's not saying I wont. As I recall, if you use the IR startup kit, it has a pretty good warranty. Running it constant in nasty conditions for around 6 hours a day for a few weeks doesn't seem to bother it.

I know there is a lot of bias against Chinese stuff on this board, but I wouldn't say that a Made In America sticker assures quality any more than a Made In China sticker assures junk.

The point I was trying to make is that if you have a budget of $XX, be sure you balance the quality of all the parts of that system--electrical/compressor/dryer/etc. If you've got the dough, absolutely go Quincy.

No. Wait. Actually, my point was "for God's sake take it to a professional and pick it up done a week later!"

I'm still cleaning alum. oxide out of my ears and the **** got into my wallet and ruined all my credit cards. Oh, and it got into my shoes and ruined all my socks! Oh and...
Yes that was discussed thouroughly in thread Respectable paint on 120V compressor?. Post 42 and 43 are the proof in the pudding.
The old know it all never posted again in that thread once you posted your results.,
He obviously has a **** ** for IR, and anyone that does not agree with him.

I too have the same IR and have had excellent results with it.

Last edited by 302 Z28; 12-26-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.