Air Compressor for Automotive Painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air Compressor for Automotive Painting

Hey guys,

I'm restoring a old 1945 Willys MB. I'm looking at getting a air compressor to do painting and sandblasting. I was looking at these two compressors and was wondering which you would take for the job at hand.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/206949.htm
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/6112301.htm

Thanks for your input in advance,
Girard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

Air Compressor

The CFM is what you'll need for sand blasting. Painting will not reQuire as much CFM as Blasting. Either one will do for a hobbiest. Keep in mind your available hydro in your garage. You'll Not regreat too large a compressor but you Will regreat one that is too small.
Air tools sure help with any project.
Buy the best one you can afford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1helmethead
Hey guys,

I'm restoring a old 1945 Willys MB. I'm looking at getting a air compressor to do painting and sandblasting. I was looking at these two compressors and was wondering which you would take for the job at hand.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/206949.htm
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/6112301.htm

Thanks for your input in advance,
Girard
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

if your doing a lot of sandblasting buy the 7.5 hp one. 26cfm@100psi is great for that
both have auto water drains (nice feature) and magnetic starters.
the 5hp needs 40A service, the 7.5 needs 50A service.
either one will spray paint. well.
buy what you can afford

read up on air line installation. that will determine how dry your air stays.
if your shop is small run copper for the distribution
Old 12-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Before buying an Eaton you might want to cheack this out.

Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post

You would be much better off buying an American made compressor like a Quincy instead of a Chinese import sold by an outfit that treats their customers in a shoddy manner.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475

That Quincy is made in the U.S. and is from one of the oldest names in the business, it has a genuine industrial duty 21 AMP Baldor (made in USA) motor as opposed to the Chinese motor and electrics (along with everything else about it) on the Eaton. Your call, for about the same or even less money you can have a genuine made in USA Quincy that is legendary for reliability or a Chinese import from an outfit with a flashy web site and a good advertising pitch.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the replys so far mates.

Old Red: One question though the Quincy puts out 15 CFM @ 175 and the Eaton puts out 24 SCFM thats a big difference is it not?

Ogre: Whats 40A and 50A service?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

You are comparing the Quincy to the larger more expensive model Eaton.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 PM

Ahhh so I am my apologize.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

amperage rating of the 2 compressors is 40 & 50 amps
10 ga wire is good for 30 amp
8 ga wire is good for 55 amp
you will need to run 8 ga wire for either compressor
i should have used the term feeder or circuit instead of service
Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Ok I see thanks Ogre...this is all very new to me.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

I thought 6 gauge was required for 50 amp
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i should have clarified that:
i would use conduit with #8 thhn or thhw wire to wire a compressor. both are rated for 55 amps
this is the least expensive way to wire. you can use pvc or emt (thin walled steel tubing) conduit
romex or nm cable you would use #8 for the 5hp & #6 for the 7.5hp unit.

big romex gets expensive quickly, you would spend half of the cost for #8 wire & conduit vs #6 romex
i assume the compressor is in a garage where conduit is easy to run
Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

I just finished blasting a pickup in my garage and learned a thing or two about the process. A few things to keep in mind:

1: It's an ungodly, time consuming mess. By the time you buy a huge compressor, a blaster, and safe media (sand is toxic) you might have been able to just take it out and get it done professionally.

2: These things have to be wired directly into your board--they can't be plugged in and even if they could they'd need a dedicated 220v plug/circuit. Factor in the price of an electrician you don't like to do that kind of work yourself.

3: You don't need a lot of pressure, just a lot of air. This one provides more air at the pressures you need and is a lot cheaper than the smaller one you linked.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._211720_211720

4: You don't just need lots of air, you need lots of DRY air. If I had it to do over again (and still decided to do it myself), I'd have bought a refrigerated air dryer. Got a little tired of digging mud out of my blaster.

Have fun!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
3: You don't need a lot of pressure, just a lot of air. This one provides more air at the pressures you need and is a lot cheaper than the smaller one you linked.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._211720_211720

Have fun!

You are right about everything EXCEPT that compressor, that thing is a major rip-off! In the first place 18.1 CFM@90 PSI from a single stage compressor with only 5 HP (even real HP not peak) is pure fantasy! There is no way that thing is going to produce that much air and if you look around you will see it is totally out of line with other compressors of that class, 14 CFM maybe, but 18 is simply a ridiculous claim for a 5 HP single stage piston compressor. Now add to that the fact that these things have a reputation for burning out that cheap Emerson motor they come equipped with, I think it has happened to at least two of the guys here and I personally know of another one. It may be an Ingersoll but it is made in China (says so right on the the pump), has a poor reliability record for the motor/electrics and the performance claims are completely out of line for that class of compressor. Performance claims for a lot compressors are notorious for being exaggerated but usually it is mostly for HP lately however they have been a bit more honest about that because of the complaints and even lawsuits, exaggerated CFM seems to be their new gimmick.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Oldred:

Acknowledging that you've forgotten more about this subject than I'll ever know, I own this compressor and I'm not sure it's as bad as you think.

I raced it against a Harbor Freight compressor rated at around the same CFM and found it to be about twice as fast at filling a tank. With a 1/8" sandblaster tip, this thing will hold 90psi forever. Maybe it is 14cfm, but as a practical matter, I can't find a way to outrun it.

I haven't had any problems with durablility, though that's not saying I wont. As I recall, if you use the IR startup kit, it has a pretty good warranty. Running it constant in nasty conditions for around 6 hours a day for a few weeks doesn't seem to bother it.

I know there is a lot of bias against Chinese stuff on this board, but I wouldn't say that a Made In America sticker assures quality any more than a Made In China sticker assures junk.

The point I was trying to make is that if you have a budget of $XX, be sure you balance the quality of all the parts of that system--electrical/compressor/dryer/etc. If you've got the dough, absolutely go Quincy.

No. Wait. Actually, my point was "for God's sake take it to a professional and pick it up done a week later!"

I'm still cleaning alum. oxide out of my ears and the **** got into my wallet and ruined all my credit cards. Oh, and it got into my shoes and ruined all my socks! Oh and...

Last edited by 302 Z28; 12-26-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
You don't need a lot of pressure, just a lot of air. This one provides more air at the pressures you need and is a lot cheaper than the smaller one you linked.
I notice that the compressor has an offer for an extended manufacturer's warranty. For an additional $80.00, you get 2 quarts of oil and 2 filters- and another year (2 total) on the warranty.

Not exactly the deal of the year. And not very confidence-inspiring. But, hey, the shipping is free! lol

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.