Hot Rod Forum banner

Air compressor breakin how important?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pepi 
#1 ·
I just received a 5hp 2 cyl single stage Eaton compressor earlier this month. The manual states to change the breakin oil after 50 hrs or 30 days whichever comes first. I have a case of amsoil synthetic compressor oil to change it with. My question is since I haven't bought any air tools yet, the compressor will only have a couple hours run time by the 30 days, would it hurt anything to change it out now & be done with it or do I need to put more hours on it before changing? I really want this compressor to be a one time investment so want to do whats right. Really getting a lot of good info reading the posts on this forum, did a search but didn't find anything on this.
Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
You really should run it an estimated (it's not ALL THAT critical, just try to get it close) 40-50 hrs and then change oil. That 30 day change assumes more run time than you plan. Just estimate the 40-50 hrs and you will be fine. :)

BTW, Congrtats on a really good choice of compressors those Eatons are GOOD outfits :thumbup:

#3 ·
SteveU said:
I just received a 5hp 2 cyl single stage Eaton compressor earlier this month. The manual states to change the breakin oil after 50 hrs or 30 days whichever comes first. My question is since I haven't bought any air tools yet, the compressor will only have a couple hours run time by the 30 days, would it hurt anything to change it out now & be done with it or do I need to put more hours on it before changing?
Steve
It is not a peach and will not age enough to change the break in oil in 30 days. I think the 50 running hrs is the measurement you might want to consider when making the change or not to change the break in oil desion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.