Air compressor from car engine? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LaunchPad- I don't have any plans to offer but I might suggest looking to your old compressor as a source for some parts like maybe valves if it is a two stage, maybe anyway. Surplus Center has some engine governors you might be able to use and I think in the new catalog they even have an unloader valve(item no.4-1499) that could be used to either vent the excess air when the tank is full or far better yet it might even be used to unload the cylinders at idle phase, if you can come up with the right valves for the engine. Looks like you have a good use for mobile air and considering the cost of mobile compressors you might be able to build a worthwhile outfit, however for a shop compressor it is still quite impractical due mostly to cost. Even a true 7.5 HP(5595 watts) compressor will use only about 39 cents an hour of power at our rates here in Tennessee and that is if it ran constantly but since it would rarely run more than 50% of the time the cost would be closer to 20 cents. Compare that to my 15 HP Kohler powered 25 CFM Ingersoll on my service truck which will easily use 1.5 gallons of gas per hour at $1.85 currently per gallon=$2.77 per hour,-- 20 cents per hour vs $2.77. Efficiency is the key here and that Kohler powered two stage factory designed unit will be far more efficient than you could ever hope to get with the VW. For field use it may be just what you need but it will be very expensive to operate if you plan on using it a lot. The slower you run it the worse the efficiency will be and while at first it might seem that it should be cheap to run at idle when you consider the throttle setting that is going to be required to maintain idle RPM under load(it WILL be a heavy load)then one can see where it may not be so cheap after all. Simple laws of physics, it takes power to make power.

www.surpluscenter.com

these guys might have what you need.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the link- they have lots of neat stuff.

Still looking for those plans though- even an idea if the compressor is made with single or dual port heads.

anyone else with ideas?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:55 PM

Volks air

This is an old post but I'm new & just happened to have some knowledge on this subject-- The Co. that makes the Volksair compressor conversion(as well as V6 & V8 conversions) is called Dunn-Right Inc. --3672 Abbeville Highway--Anderson,SC 29624--(http://www.angelfire.com/biz/dunnright/index.html) It runs on 2cyl(28HP) 58CFM@100PSI --This is just the ticket for a sandblaster. Hope this answers some questions--Information comes from my old 4x4 days,just happened to remember the Co. name.--DAVE
Old 04-03-2006, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

KDC, It may be an old post but that is new info on a subject that generated a lot of interest, thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM

OK--They are still in business-Phone#(864)296-9316 & they also have V6-V8 conversions. The VW basic conversion is $339.50 & delux is $549.50-- I was surprised they are still in business--I was first exposed to them 15-20 years ago. The fact they still exist has to be a positive testament to the quality of there product--In my opinion. If I was looking for lots of air and portability this is a lot less than a 10 HP gas compressor(I got mine used for $250 ) Well there ya go! Hope this helps someone--I ordered a catalog and will post an update if anyone is interested.DAVE
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57 PM

First post so please be gentle

Just thought I'd back up a post by Oldred regarding the fridge pump type compressor by giving a couple of links that i've looked at several times over the past few months.

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutor...D=28&CurPage=1

and

http://www.dr350.kenet.co.uk/compressor1.php

hope these will be of some use, they certainly combat the noise and cost worries that some may have.

Gareth
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc49
OK--They are still in business-Phone#(864)296-9316 & they also have V6-V8 conversions. The VW basic conversion is $339.50 & delux is $549.50-- I was surprised they are still in business--I was first exposed to them 15-20 years ago. The fact they still exist has to be a positive testament to the quality of there product--In my opinion. If I was looking for lots of air and portability this is a lot less than a 10 HP gas compressor(I got mine used for $250 ) Well there ya go! Hope this helps someone--I ordered a catalog and will post an update if anyone is interested.DAVE
thanks for posting the website... good info, and if you can please post the extra info when you get a chance. i am looking at using an old yorkshire AC compressor to make my portable aircompressor. oasis uses a hydralic pump motor to spin them up at 12v to make 9cfm, at 24v they make 21cfm.... but this is a $700 setup. i got my pump for $10 and now i just have to figure out how i can get the brigs to spin it up and also the one wire alternator to lock the clutch...
Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc49
This is an old post but I'm new & just happened to have some knowledge on this subject-- The Co. that makes the Volksair compressor conversion(as well as V6 & V8 conversions) is called Dunn-Right Inc. --3672 Abbeville Highway--Anderson,SC 29624--(http://www.angelfire.com/biz/dunnright/index.html) It runs on 2cyl(28HP) 58CFM@100PSI --This is just the ticket for a sandblaster. Hope this answers some questions--Information comes from my old 4x4 days,just happened to remember the Co. name.--DAVE
That would be enough air for a small sandblaster maybe,mine is 200 cfm deisel and I could use more sometimes.

I have used the gas engine driven compressors,and they are VERY inefficient fuel wise,as a sandblaster you could not afford to run one.

When getting into the larger cfm requirements,pistons are not efficient,the only way to go is vane type or screw type.
My deise/vane 200 cfm uses up to 20 gallons a day,we rented a 6 cylinder gas compressor rated at 160 cfm,and it burned over 100 gallons the fisrt day,needless to say,we took that back and made do with my deisel alone.

I would say buy a good compressor,you wont save anything trying to build one,and if you do the operating costs will kill any savings in the long run.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 AM

Hey Jim; Wasn't thinking of a commercial application,but the V8 conversion kits probably would work for that.I've got a friend that has a Ford V8 unit that was factory made to power a sand blaster.It is a older unit, but it does the job for a light duty commercial unit.I was thinking that at 58CFM for personal use to sandblast frames or bodies you aren't going to run out of air.Don't think I'd want a 100 gal gas or diesel bill for the day--but I'm going to assume you got paid real well for whatever you were doing.My buddy doesn't work with his blaster without big bucks for showing up.I'm sure you know the prices on trailer mounted compressor units $$$$. I think most of the questions here were for a cheap way to make a lot of air for the home shop.I still think a lot of these conversions are used for light duty commercial work--They have to be for the company to have remained in business for as long as they have.I think the original Co. was called Volks-Air but was sold to Dunn-Right & they have expanded into the V6-V8 market. I'm betting they do a big overseas market--Mexico,South America--They still have lots of VW's to convert.You don't need a huge(75gal?) pressure pot--got it in a trade.Later-DAVE
Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Jim, I think you have made the point a LOT better than I did about the operating costs of these things and that is what I have been trying to get across from the beginning of this thread, those gas conversions are for industrial use and will absolutely break the bank for a do-it-yourselfer. There has been comparisons here of these things to common small shop type two stage electric compressors for operating costs but with gas approaching $3 a gallon one could buy a good two stage unit with what the gas would cost for only a few days of running the conversion. If mobile air and a lot of it is what someone needs then these things may be practical but the earlier discussions about home building one from a car engine for home shop use would be a disaster since even a 4 cylinder could easily use 10 gallons ($25-$30) or MORE a day and a two stage 7 1/2 HP would cost only a fraction of that in electric costs.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.