Hot Rod Forum banner

Air compressor for the garage ?????

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Nim-Rod 
#1 ·
I have to replace my Sears Crapsman air compressor now I'm trying to decide between a Husky or Campbell Hausfeld. would like to here some feed back on these if you have any looking at the 60-80 gal sizes

#4 ·
With something that large, go for an oil cooled one, with as many USA/Canada made components as possible. You could keep your old craftsman tank for a larger capacity, but that still wont' offset a small pump over a long use of time.

#5 ·
Both Husky and Campbell are about the same quality and will work fine for the typical hobby garage use. As the other posters mentioned, their are a few basic specs to look for:

Oil vs oil-less pump: Go with a compressor that uses oil. These compressors are quieter and they will last longer saving you money in the long run.

CFM: Determine the CFM requirements of the air tools you have or want to get. Get a compressor that has 50% more CFM capacity than your largest air tool because both the compressor and air tool manufacturers fib a little with their figures.

Horsepower: Ignore any HP ratings. HP figures have not matched true HP for years and are so unreliable they cannot be used as a selection criteria.

Once you get your new compressor home make sure you change the oil per the manufacturers recommendation and drain the tank regularly and you will have you compressor a long time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.