Hot Rod Forum banner

Air compressor issues

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 9yr old craftsman 6.5 horse 60 gallon A/C direct drive last year it started takeing a long time to build air pressure I checked for leaks and found none,with no tools or hose hooked up I've checked my manual checked every thing, cleaned every thing ,considering the price of new compressors was thinking of getting one of those belt driven compressor pumps harbor freight sells and mount to the tank does any one have any thoughts?

#2 ·
take the head off and see if the reed valve is missing a bolt or has come loose or no longer makes a seal. i had that happen to a different brand and it took forever to build pressure. it also eventually made a lot of noise once the bolt came all the way out and started rattling around.

#3 ·
H.F. compressor pump........

HI,its JUNK,i bought one last year,it ran for about 1 hour,when it locked up,it locked up so fast,it broke all the spokes on the flywheel.for pumps,go to surpluscenter.com,and check out their pumps. i HAVE NOT used their pumps,but the prices are right,and they use a cast iron cylinder, :)

#4 ·
I don't know which HF compressor you have been looking at but I just recently learned that most of the US General models are actually made right here in the USA! :) I had mentioned here before that the big two stage model had a US made Baldor motor on it and when I mentioned that to a friend of mine he told me that most of the compressor is built here, except for the pump itself which is from Italy (nothing wrong with that). Turns out that along with the Baldor motor the switches and valves are American made as is the tank (made in Virginia) but the actual compressor pump is built in Italy, Italy is known for high quality products however.

Just thought that might be of interest.

#6 ·
I didn't notice that I thought he was looking at a complete unit and I wanted to pass on what I had found about those US General compressors. I agree completely about the Surplus Center pumps and I have even recommended them here before plus I have installed one 3 HP DeVilbiss they had a while back, by coincidence this pump also was made in Italy and it was a steal at $89. We installed it on a 6 "Peak" HP Campbell Hausfeld 60 gal tank that had worn out the pump. Of course that 6 HP is total non-sense and it is actually only about 3 HP or maybe a little more (a very little more!) so that is why we chose the 3 HP model. We had to change the drive pulley on the motor due to the larger pulley on the pump to arrive at 1000 pump RPM (actually we went slightly less) and the belt guards had to be modified. What he ended up with is a much quieter compressor that has somewhat higher CFM and in all likelihood will last a lot longer, all for less than $100! Surplus Center also has some VERY good, but much more expensive, industrial duty pumps like Rol-Air and Ingersoll if someone wanted to spend the extra money. Also they have just about anything else needed to build almost any kind of piston compressor even a gasoline powered outfit.

#9 ·
most definetly,there all the same but with differnt names.My resizer is giving me trouble so I cant send pics but get the little flap valves with a ring,you'll laugh when you get it apart its so simple to fix.is it a two piston or one?I'm building the compressor for my air ride outa a two stage oiless and a 12v electric scooter motor,all found in the scrap yard. so far it works twice as good as their high dollar one,still gotta mount it to the tanks to see for real but I got high hopes. No pun intended

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.