Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - air compressor maintenance
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

air compressor maintenance

Hi there!
I've been readind the threads about compressed air for a long time, and I've seen lots of questions asked and ansewered but it seems to me that some people forget to ask about the maintenance that an air compressor should have.
I don't know how its around here but in my country most people don't give any maintenaince at all to their air compressors..
The oil from you air compressor should be changed before the time set by the manufacturer wich is usully something like 300 working hours. Another thing that most people seem to forget is that the and the vibrations from an air compressor working for long time, loosens the head bolts, so it's a good idea from time to time grab a torque wrench and retorque the head bolts to the manufacturer specs.
And about the belt on belt driven compressor you should remove the guard and take a look to see if it's loosen or damaged.
I only wrote this thread because sometimes people think that the only maintenance that an air compressor needs is to be drained.
I forgot to wrote that especially on older compressors you should take a look for corrosion in the tank, and if it's and old compressor maybe the best thing to do is send the tank to be pressure tested.
Never forget that compressed air is very dangerous.
I could talk a little about pipping and such but it has already been very well covered in previous posts.
I hope that my post is usefull, and that you guys add more important things about compressor maintenance and compressed air security. Because probably I forgot to mention a lot of stuff, and I don't all the stuff and I'm always willing to learn.

António Costa from Portugal
P.S.: Sorry for my bad English