Hot Rod Forum banner

Air Compressor, oxy / ace, propane outdoors - Info / Issues

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  bondo 
#1 ·
Any suggestions / warnings appreciated.

Running out of floor space and considering building a small shed connected / free standing next to my garage. Four different sections: 1) Compressor, 2) Oxy / ace & propane tanks, 3) Trash recycle bins 4) Gardening shed. Oxy / ace & propane tanks will be at opposite end from compressor.

Located in Connecticut so wide temp & humidity changes.

Have 1/2" steel pipe (35') installed and working great with industrial water separator, pressure regulator & coalescing filter in place. Auto frame sand blasting and small painting projects already accomplished with no problems.

Any issues you can think of having the compressor outside in the shed? Air temp creating greater water problems in the compressed air because the garage air will be conditioned (heated or cooled as needed) and the compressor will be outside. Draining tank more difficult because it is outside.

Any issues with the Oxy / Ace & Propane tanks outside? Have to go outside to open & close oxy / ace tanks. Seems to me having them outside would help with the safty issue

Any advice is appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
i can't see a problem with the compressor.
if your filter/separator fill up with water and freeze you might have problems.
my 5hp, 80ga compressor/filter/separator is in unheated part of my barn,
i have not had a problem (yet)
though i can not drain it because the valve is frozen (0* last nite)

but, i wouldn't use the ox/ac with out being able to turn them off fast.
if you rupture/burn thru/cut the ox/ac you want the valves there.
as often as you use it, store it outside and bring it in to use.

propane; if it's a portable tank cut a low vent in the wall.
if it's a big tank, your supplier will not fill it in a building.

#5 ·
ogre said:
but, i wouldn't use the ox/ac with out being able to turn them off fast.
if you rupture/burn thru/cut the ox/ac you want the valves there.
as often as you use it, store it outside and bring it in to use.
this is a very good point, you might consider getting a cart and rolling them in and out when you need them.
HF has a nice one for cheap, that is what i have.
the tires are kinda cheap and will soon need a better tube
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-accessories/welding-cart-65939.html

#6 ·
I just took my oxy /ace tanks off my cart (where they were chained on) and mounted them next to the wall. I have ceiling mounted oxy / ace retractable line unit with 8' line connecting the tanks to the ceiling unit. Was trying to free up as much floor space as possible. Never thought about a oxy /ace line failure issue & quick shut off. Will have to re-think the oxy / ace tanks being outside. I use them a couple of times a week but could live with moving them in and out.

This is why we post here. It is good to learn from mistakes. It is better to learn from others mistakes, experience and common sense.

Thanks guys.

#7 ·
Many welding shops I have been in have central oxy/fuel setups. It is piped to each workstation, each station is then fitted with ball valves on each feed pipe, as well as their own regulators. This gives you the remote location for the tanks, as well as quick shutoff in case of an emergency. I would mount the regulator inside the garage, just so you will be able to control line pressure at the workstation. Also, shut the tanks off every time you will be leaving the shop for any amount of time, as this will limit the amount of gas that can be leaked to that which is contained in the pipes.

The compressor being outside will condense more water, just due to the temperature factor (hot, compressed air + cold outside temps = condensation). A water trap, plus a dessicant filter located in the shop would be a good idea. A 6" dropleg at the compressor, with the feed line to the shop going up to the ceiling of the shed, then running on a downward slant to the point of entry to the shop should eliminate freezing issues. Drill the pipe cap on the dropleg, and tap it to install a petcock, so you can drain any moisture buildup at the dropleg water trap.

#8 ·
Will have to re-think the oxy / ace tanks being outside.
Ayuh,... Just another Ace thought...

Ace is Extremely temperature sensitive...

My tanks are on my pickup, right now it's about -20°...
Odds are, I wouldn't even be able to light 'em, as the Ace won't vaporize, 'n it's pressure will be too low....

#9 ·
More great feedback.

Great idea of having oxy / ace tanks outside and regulators inside. I'll check on what connectors I need to run lines from tanks outside to regulators inside. I am in Connecticut so there may be times when I can't fire it up because of the cold temp and will have to drag the tanks inside. Guess I shouldn't get rid of the tank cart just yet. Maybe I will keep the tanks on the cart outside (chained) and connected. Still save garage floor space and be ready to move them inside if I need to.

On the compressor line I have dual ball valves on my down spouts to allow me to drain water and not lose pressure in the system. I will do the same thing outside.

Thanks guys.

#12 ·
Another question regarding propane

Got to fire them up when I get the opportunity no matter how cold it is outside if I am ever going to get this project on the road.

Is propane heavier or lighter than air?

Earlier post said to put a low vent hole in the shed where the propane tank will be stored. I suspect so there would not be a build up of propoane if I had a leak. I also suspect propane is heavier than air and is the reason the vent should be low.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.