air compressor and piping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

air compressor and piping

i have a sears air compressor, 5 hp.30gal tank.single stage. it says scfm@ 40 is 7.8 and scfm@ 90 is 5.8. right now using air tools i have to wait for it to build presser back up. i plan on sanding and painting my car next summer. i have a water trap and regulator and running an air hose for the tools 1/2 inch. my ? is if i run 3/4 inch pipe around my room (its 12x24) and put in the drain valves. would the 3/4 help with air flow or would it be a wast of time and money. and is there any one that has a drawing of a layout of how to do it. i was lead to this site a few wks back and this is my first post , the info is amazing. thank you all
( i am restoring a 67 mustang fastback 289 auto )

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, your compressor isn't going to be enough. Even if you were to add all the piping you could afford for extra volume, you still do not have enough CFM from the pump.

Most D/A sanders will eat approx 13-17 CFM @ 90psi under load. A lot of them will advertise the free load CFM and not the loaded CFM. Most spray equipment will use in the neighborhood of 8-17 CFM @ approx 30-40psi.

I managed to get by with a 60 gallon Coleman Powermate producing 10.5 CFM @ 90 and 13.5 @ 40psi for 11 years. It has since puked and I am in the process of shopping for an industrial model in the area of 20 CFM @ 175PSI (I make money with mine now).

A bigger compressor will require 230v and the associated wiring to go with it, but in the end you will be a lot less frustrated. You can purchase the minimum of 60 gallon compressors for around $4-600 depending on brand. I would shop for one that will produce 12.5 CFM @100 PSI.

My $.02

Chris
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

pipin info

do a search. there is a lot of info here DO NOt USE PVC piping... Piping should run down hill with a drain at the end and air outlets should point up then U down so to not collect dust or spit out condensation. I knew a guy tthat got a 100 gal tank from a junk commercial compressor and ran his compressor to fill the tank so he could have enough air to spray. Old tanks should be carefully inspected and tested.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.