Air Compressor questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air Compressor questions

I'm just kind of learning how to paint cars. I just ordered a book on painting cars and have a few I'm going to start practicing on in about a month.. I forgot our air compressor is kept at our lake house so it looks like I'm in the market to buy a new one... I'm just going to use it for painting... so I was wondering what would or would not work. Here are a couple links to ones I was looking at. (would like to keep it about 200 bucks)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916725000

Your input would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

When it comes to painting, the bigger the compressor the better. Don't forget to get some drying equipment to keep the air dry.

Budget RVs
Old 10-26-2003, 04:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If you intend to paint cars on a fairly regular basis, none of the compressors you've listed will do the job.

What you want is a two stage 5 or 6 hp. compressor with at least a 30 but preferably a 60 gallon tank. The inexpensive direct drive "vibrators" that Sears sells are best suited for air nailers and small power tools. Depending on the spraying equipment you're using you'll need more capacity than they can provide.

One more thing to consider is the noise. The "vibrators" are very noisy and will get on your nerves in just a few minutes.

I know costs more than you would like to spend, but this is the kind of compressor you should be looking for.
Sears Compressor

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

ou also need to have your compressor plumbed so you can trap the moisture. You need to plumb the lines the correct way along with adding a water trap. You want to keep all the contaminates out of the line as much as possible. I have some diagrams I can post when I get on my other computer. I have one from an autobody tool supply company that list everything you need for the plumbing and shows a pretty good pic. I'll post it tomorrow.

Kevin
Old 10-26-2003, 08:29 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Two hundred bucks might get you by for painting, but you'll have to forget about using a cheesegrater, DA, or any kind of power sanding tools.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Last photo:

Invest in a good twin cylinder belt drive compressor of at least 5hp. The direct drive units are cr#@ IMO, very noisy and cannot handle the load required for painting. Do not be fooled by peak Hp figures, get a compressor that is rated at an actual 5hp or more. I have a twin cylinder Speedair compressor that is over 20 years old and is still doing great service.

Vince
Old 10-26-2003, 08:54 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
I have a twin cylinder Speedair compressor that is over 20 years old and is still doing great service.

Vince
I have an old Dayton Speedair too, when I put a fan on it, I can run it hard all day. The only part that is ever too hot to hold onto is the discharge line from the heads to the tank. My tool box is even made by Dayton electric manufacturing company.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:14 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

All three of those are very appealing. I would go with #3. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916725000
Thier throwing in a few fittings and a air ratchet. The advantage of all of them is they are oil-less meaning no oil in the lines spitting onto the surface creating fisheyes. A simple water filter and good to go.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:29 PM

Some people at another forum recommended "Boyd Coddington's How to Paint Your Hot Rod" so I went ahead and ordered it yesterday.. I am hoping the book tells me what all I need and what will and will not work.. I just plan on using the compressor for painting, maybe some sanding.

I'm completely new to automotive painting I just really wanted to learn how to do it.. No, I will not be painting constantly, just kind of want to get something to learn with... I'm not opening a body shop or anything here

I don't think I can afford to put out 450 dollars for one right now...

Would either of these work

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916734000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916722000

What other tools would I need besides a spray gun, compressor, Are their specialized sanders I have to have, or just a regular sander?

hopefully I don't have to cancel my new hobby before I even start it

Last edited by Dasoldier; 10-26-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:22 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Cool Welcome to Hotrodders.com

ahhhh toolseses..........

there are a whole bunch of different sanders outhere,,,, not just da's either.... and some of them are hi buck..... i always thought IR was the *******, but now i understand it's the low end stuff as far as body work goes. .......

air compressor... i have a sears/devilbiss 6.5 hp 33 gallon 'professional' 220 volt loud **** mother. when i do alot of sanding, i every now and then have to take a break to let it catch up.... i might not have to, but i hate to hear it run for so long...... get the BIGGEST MOST POWERFUL compressor you can. you will not ever regret it. unless you move....

paint guns are a whole 'nother thread..........

have you ever checked out www.autobodytoolmart.com ? i haven't ordered from them yet, but they have a great catalog, and it's kept me from paying more than i should on somethings.....

i like this one
Old 10-27-2003, 04:19 AM
Rusty And Dusty

Last photo:

As far as learning to paint is concerned, a buddy is giving me an old refrigerator that I'm going to practice on, basically to learn to set the gun and control it. I figure it's big, steel, and I don't have to drive something that looks too stupid until I have a chance to fix it.

Once it's done, I figure I can just sand blast it and start over. Once I feel comfortable with it, I'll be ready to prime the panel van - once the body's done, that is. Then I'll just send the fridge to the dump, where it's destined to be anyway.

I have a 6hp 25 gal. compressor. Hopefully that'll be big enough to do the job. It seems to do just fine for everything else I've done with it.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:27 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

That is the best thing to do...practice before you take on something big. You can always dig up an old hood or decklid to practice on. You might ask the body shops if they have any old paint they want to get rid of so you don't have to purchase any. Buy the cheap stuff off of EBay for practice. Then when you feel comfortable you can work your way on up to some HOK paint!!!!

Kevin
Old 10-27-2003, 07:37 AM

aircan

i agree with the general consensus bout airpumpers. i have the sears 7hp 60galtank with 2 STAGE compressor it was about $800 3-4yrs ago. mine blows up to11cfm @ 175lbs. i have already replaced electric motor on it once. i have to let it catch up once in awhile if sand blasting or running cheap airfile i got. can't run 2 things for long, never nuff air. when buying your spray guns & tools the cfm requirements are on pkg. money spent on tools are investment. get the best you can. i have 35 yr old Binks spray guns that work great still. if not going to be working these tools again maybe better off hiring job out as big aircompressors don't get rented out but someones garage or spraybooth with equipment may work out for you. if buying be the best informed buyer you can be, know your requirements, equipment requirements, look around for best deal. when i bought it i got it on sears home credit line - reduced interest rate - & wrote it off on equipment expense for uncle sam. maybe wrong but sound like yougin - if use credit learn to use it like tools- take care of them like they were your fingers, remember your word & your credit are 2 things that go with you to the last day. these are foundation for trust & reputation- YOUR WORD & your fingers are good things to keep. in old days you lose one you lost the other happy halloween
jwart
Old 10-27-2003, 09:45 AM

Hey I've got an old fridge in the garage myself, and and old hood, Came off the 73 stingray though, so its fiberglass.. think I will try the fridge as my first thing
Old 10-27-2003, 10:40 AM

Compressor Question

Dasoldier,
The advice received on the the other posts about going as big as you can is sound. My first compressor was a 30 gal/31/2 hp unit. My experience with it was about the same as some of the other posts, when using the da or air file I had to stop to let the compressor catch up. Most compressors are not 100 percent duty cycle. In other words they are not supposed to run all the time. Doing so shortens their life somewhat.
When shopping for the compressor do not be fooled by the advertised displacement. An advertised 11.5 cfm displacement will not give you 11.5 scfm of delivered air. To do a good job of painting you absolutely must do a good job of preparation. Preparation means sanding, both DA's (real air hogs) and the air file (maybe not quite as bad as DA's but still big consumers). If you live in the South or near any coast Humidity is a big deal. As air is compressed it is heated hot air an not hold as much moisture as colder air, so some of the moisture in the air drops out as it is being compressed, and I can guarantee you it will cause you problems and frustrations. Because of all of the above here is what I did. I went around town and checked all of the equipment dealers for a used compressor. I found a 10 hp 120 gal speedair compressor which included the starter. It was 3 phase so I bought a phase converter wire it up and I have been laughing ever since. Look around there sound be some good used stuff that will give you a lot more bang for your buck.
Good luck David

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.