Air Compressor Review/Suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air Compressor Review/Suggestions

I'm ready to invest in an air compressor for my home garage. For starters, I plan on using this compressor to restore my Camaro, so I need one that will be good for painting and using all of those air tools for grinding, sanding, cutting, etc. I am considering this compressor: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00918298000P. I want to know if this compressor will do what I need it to do, if it's a good brand, and if there is something better out there for around the same price. I want to keep the cost under $1500.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Last photo:

That is a fairly decent compressor, and is the very one I have. The thing that bugs me is most of it's components are Chinese. But with the way things are today it's virtually impossible to buy a compressor in this price range that does not have Chinese components. Check Tractor Supply for price, I don't think I paid that much for mine.

Vince
Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
That is a fairly decent compressor, and is the very one I have. The thing that bugs me is most of it's components are Chinese. But with the way things are today it's virtually impossible to buy a compressor in this price range that does not have Chinese components. Check Tractor Supply for price, I don't think I paid that much for mine.

Vince
Tractor Supply has it for the same price online, only it comes with an 80 gallon tank instead of the 60 gallon tank that Sears is showing.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

it definately appears to be 20 gallons bigger at the same price at tractor supply...i wonder if sears or any of the home depot stores have that price match plus money back offer on competitors prices..you just might be able to steal that compressor relatively cheap from one of them that way
Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...6781000P?mv=rr

That is a good oil filled 2 stage, thats is nearly the same numbers and 20 gallons more and cheaper.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmandirt
I am considering this compressor:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00918298000P.

if there is something better out there for around the same price. I want to keep the cost under $1500.

Something better, you betcha! and cheaper too!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475

This is an excellent compressor, 15.2 HONEST CFM, a 21 AMP (5 HONEST HP) USA built industrial duty Baldor motor and 100% duty cycle-plus it's made by one of the oldest and best compressor outfits in America, made-in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmandirt
Tractor Supply has it for the same price online, only it comes with an 80 gallon tank instead of the 60 gallon tank that Sears is showing. .

As has been covered many times before DON'T be impressed by a bigger tank it will do nothing to improve performance! We have gone over this in depth many times and without trying to cover it again just remember that the size of the tank will save a VERY small amount of wear and tear plus a Very small amount of power over it's lifetime but it will not make it keep up with your tools any better at all. That is not the purpose of the tank so look at what matters first such as the type of motor and pump, CFM rating, AMP rating and duty cycle then if the bigger tank can be had for about the same price take it but don't spend much to get it and whatever you decide DON'T pass up a better compressor for a bigger tank!

CFM runs your tools not the tank and a bigger tank does NOT make a bigger compressor.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Last photo:

Dang Oldred where you a year ago when I was in the market for a new compressor? That Quincy is one nice compressor and free shipping also....wonder if I would have had to pay tax?

Vince
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Quincy had one problem until recently, they cost too darn much! A couple of years ago it seems they decided to get competitive I guess and then Quincys started showing up at Northern even cheaper. My first thought was "oh no now even Quincy has gone to China" but I checked their site and they have a small venture in China to make some parts for rotary compressors but as far as I can tell that's all and the Quincy compressors are still made here. I have had my old Quincy pump since I first started my welding business and it served me well all those years, I kept it when I sold out and retired and now it looks like the dang thing is going to outlast me.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all of your help guys. I went with the Quincy. It has a US made motor, the CFM ratings are slightly better than the IR and it has excellent reviews. The free shipping and no sales tax sealed the deal. Thanks oldred for pointing this out.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

Got a 30 or 40 year old 325 quincy at work that we figure has a bout 30,000 hours on it since the boss has owned it. He bought it used and it used to run 18 hours a day continuously. Its worn out at least 2 gas motors and is now on its 3rd electric motor.That pump is just like the energizer bunny. It keeps going and going and going. I just bought a Saylor Beall 705 that i think is 20 or 30 years old but not used nearly as much as the quincy at work. This one has just been used on an electric motor, hasn't seen any continuous use ever. Saylor Beall is supposedly almost as good as a quincy and they have been in business since 1915.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
Got a 30 or 40 year old 325 quincy at work that we figure has a bout 30,000 hours on it since the boss has owned it. He bought it used and it used to run 18 hours a day continuously. Its worn out at least 2 gas motors and is now on its 3rd electric motor.That pump is just like the energizer bunny. It keeps going and going and going.

I know of a couple more Quincy's that fit that same description in addition to mine!

Mine is about 40 years old now and started life as a gasoline powered outfit mounted on a service truck. I acquired it when I bought the truck and it outlived that truck and another one, after a couple of engines and a tank during it's roughly 25 years outside it got a brand new tank and Baldor motor and was moved inside where it has been reliably pumping air ever since. That old pump served me well for many years and in all likelihood will still be pumping when I am gone so I guess you could say I am a bit biased when it comes to recommending a compressor company!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Something better, you betcha! and cheaper too!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475

This is an excellent compressor, 15.2 HONEST CFM, a 21 AMP (5 HONEST HP) USA built industrial duty Baldor motor and 100% duty cycle-plus it's made by one of the oldest and best compressor outfits in America, made-in the USA.

Man that is a nice compressor! It puts out some CFM too. Thats what I am getting when I finally do buy a big one.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

Yeah they keep on going and going. We're about ready to get a new compressor because the boss wants more air. He's only running this one to 125psi and i think he'd have more air if he'd run it up to 175 but he doesnt want to push this old compressor that hard. I think it would probably take it but he may be right. I told him to bump it up to 150 or 160 instead of 175. It ran at 175 for years I really dont know why it wouldnt be ok now. Besides if it blew, it would be a good excuse to go get a NEW quincy! I'm going to look at a compressor today that the guy is so desperate to get rid of that hes selling it for $100. He bought it from the local compressor shop (very reputable shop, quincy and Saylor Beall distributor) and says he just doesnt ever use it. Coming from this compressor shop its bound to be a good compressor. 80 gal tank 5hp motor. Wish me luck!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

If you are talking about a Saylor Beall that big and in good shape for only $100 you better get over there before the word gets out! That guy must be desperate, either that or he is just plain nuts, don't let that one get away!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

I'm not sure what brand the compressor is. I just know that its from J D Dickinson Compressor (The local compressor shop) and they are saylor beall and quincy retailers and authorized service center. I told the guy i just needed a tank because i had a pump and motor, but for the right price i would take it all. He said $100 for it, its in his way and he wants it gone. He never uses it. I figure the tank is surely worth that and if its not what i want, i'll turn around and resell it and maybe even make a little money on the deal. I'm on my way to go look at it now. Wish me luck

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.