Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Air compressor for sandblaster (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/air-compressor-sandblaster-228879.html)

mc73DD189 01-27-2013 01:50 PM

Air compressor for sandblaster

I have a question on what type of air compressor to purchase for a large blast cabinet. Its big enough to put a motorcycle frame in it. The cabinet is used but one of the old ones. I'm not sure what size nozzle it has. It needs some stuff done to it to get it running.
Here's some of the things I had in mine.
60 to 80 gal
The garage is 200 amps
Enough to operate any tool without bogging down and waiting for air to build back up.
Not sure how much HP I will need.
Stationary
$500-800 I may have to spend more.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

mc73DD189 01-27-2013 04:30 PM

One more thing. Single stage or 2 stage? What's the difference and what's the benifit over the other?

poncho62 01-27-2013 04:39 PM

I dont know exactly, but it needs to be BIG.....Sandblasting takes a ton of air

suspect 01-27-2013 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the compressor I'm running. Cambell Hausfield, 60gal, 240v, 15amp, 1 phase, oil cooled, 135 psi, 3.2 hp, 11.5 scfm @ 40psi, 10.2 @ 90 psi. I paid $530 including tax last summer (at Steve's Wholesale....it's like a Harbor Freight). This comp is more than enough for what I do, it never runs out of air when I'm using my die grinders, DA's, or cut off wheels.

Other dude is right though, sandblasting does take a whole lot of air. Sorry I can't give you feed back on if mine holds up to that. You may need alot more than 135 max psi.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 01-27-2013 06:16 PM

Nozzle size determines cfm used. Cabinet size just means you can get big stuff in it. My big cabinet uses a 3/16" nozzle and a 12 hp compressor.

Northstar T 02-13-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspect (Post 1639434)
This is the compressor I'm running. Cambell Hausfield, 60gal, 240v, 15amp, 1 phase, oil cooled, 135 psi, 3.2 hp, 11.5 scfm @ 40psi, 10.2 @ 90 psi. I paid $530 including tax last summer (at Steve's Wholesale....it's like a Harbor Freight). This comp is more than enough for what I do, it never runs out of air when I'm using my die grinders, DA's, or cut off wheels.

Other dude is right though, sandblasting does take a whole lot of air. Sorry I can't give you feed back on if mine holds up to that. You may need alot more than 135 max psi.

I have this exact same compressor. It's been great for the 6-8 years I've owned it, but marginal volume for bigger sand blast jobs. I use mine with a small/medium size cabinet blaster once in a wile, but sometimes have to wait for it to catch up. for just blasting small parts it's fine however. works fine for painting also.
good bang for the buck IMO.

Russ

carolinacustoms 02-13-2013 06:14 PM

I'd recommend a two stage, 7.5 hp, 80 gallon with atleast 15 CFM at 90. Bigger would be better if you plan to blast regularly, but that should get you by. A compressor running all the time is not only bad for the motor and compressor, but it also creates heat which will in turn create condensation, which will be bad, very bad with a blaster set up. With blaster, you need volume not pressure, I never use over 100 PSI blasting on frames and thicker metal and usually around 85-90 on sheet metal. Of course what size nozzle, air line, filters, water traps, whats being blasted, and media used plays a big part in how much pressure you need too. Maybe you could check the other shops in your area and see if they will share information on their set up.:thumbup: best of luck with it,

Kelly

Rod S. 03-24-2013 06:12 PM

CFM Required

I like Carolinacustoms never use very high pressure to blast with. I found this site that has a cfm chart for a given psi and orfice size but i couldnt copy and paste it into this forum(probably could have but im a mechanic not a computer geek) here is a link you can follow,

Rod

Air Flow Through Orifices