air compressor for shooting paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

air compressor for shooting paint

I am getting ready to paint my car and need to know what size air compressor in terms of CFM and pressure does it take to shoot paint?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker View Post
I am getting ready to paint my car and need to know what size air compressor in terms of CFM and pressure does it take to shoot paint?
You need to size the gun to the job then the compressor to the gun. This is where a home paint job gets expensive.

You'll have to shop and shop hard looking at specifications. They like to sell compressors by horsepower. This counts but is a huge range of efficiencies between what the motor is rated at in power and what the compressor delivers in pressure and CFM. CFM and pressure is what counts not motor power. In general as pressure goes down in the specification the available CFM goes up.

Spary guns vary all over as well. One usually assumes that HVLP guns use less air CFM and pressure than the older syphon guns, this isn't exact in all cases. The bottom end DeVilbis Starting Line model needs 13 CFM at 30 PSI. step up a level in quality and the gun needs about 13 CFM at 20 PSI.

Very inexpensive guns that look the same as the DeVilibus can use 4 to 7 CFM at 30 to 50 psi, these are fine but deliver a smaller pattern. however you've got to watch out there are some inexpensive guns that chew up a lot of CFM and pressure while still advertised as HVLP guns, imagine 17 CFM at 50 to 70 PSI in one example.

The compressor needs to be able to continously support the pressure and CFM requirement without thermally cutting out. These also need wiring to support their cycle, voltage and amperage requirements. 110 VAC motors will be smaller and power hungry, 220-240 will be a bit easier on the amperage which sizes the wire and breakers. Home and most shops ony use single phase. Three phase is very expensive to have wired as are converters to make 3 phase. Typically 2 horsepower can support less than 10 CFM and less than 50 PSI for painting with about 5 horsepower to support 13-14 CFM at about 40 PSI. This is just general, you've got to shop to the required numbers of what the gun needs. As with most everything a larger compressor than needed is easier to live with than too small for the job.

Bogie
Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post

Spary guns vary all over as well. One usually assumes that HVLP guns use less air CFM and pressure than the older syphon guns, this isn't exact in all cases.
volume is CFM. HVLP=high volume, low pressure. So if one knows what they're doing, they should assume an HVLP gun will consume lots of air volume, which they do.

So to answer the original poster's question, you'll need 13-15 CFM minimum. My compressor is 3.7 hp, 60 gallon, at that CFM range, and I'd say it's the minimum you want for spraying an entire car with HVLP. Which I have done. I use the large 3/8" fittings from compressor to gun. My airflow never goes through a 1/4" fitting, wall regulator is ran wide open, with the gun regulator set to anywhere between 18-30 psi, ultimately depending on what I'm spraying. Adjust your air pressure to get it to spray how you need it, not what the gun tells you.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Lizer is saying,

Buy a real air hose. No dollar store coiler hoses to restrict the air flow.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.