Air compressor shop lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air compressor shop lines

I know this has been covered up and down before but I have a question that I cant find the answer to. I have a Quincy Compressor Air Compressor 5 HP, 230 Volt Single Phase, Model# 2V41C60VC | 19 CFM and I want to run about 50 of copper air lines throughout my shop. My question is should I run lines or ? I had a graph showing what size for what length run, cfm, psi, etc but I cant find it.

Anyway the reason Im wondering if I should run instead of is that the outlet on my compressor is only , will this restrict me enough to make it pointless to run for the rest of the system? I plan on running a media blast cabinet, DA, sander, paint gun, etc. I have 50 of copper laying around right now but I would have no problem buying if it will make the difference.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K72Nova View Post
I know this has been covered up and down before but I have a question that I cant find the answer to. I have a Quincy Compressor Air Compressor 5 HP, 230 Volt Single Phase, Model# 2V41C60VC | 19 CFM and I want to run about 50 of copper air lines throughout my shop. My question is should I run lines or ? I had a graph showing what size for what length run, cfm, psi, etc but I cant find it.

Anyway the reason Im wondering if I should run instead of is that the outlet on my compressor is only , will this restrict me enough to make it pointless to run for the rest of the system? I plan on running a media blast cabinet, DA, sander, paint gun, etc. I have 50 of copper laying around right now but I would have no problem buying if it will make the difference.
Buy the 3/4" - but get iron pipe, not copper. Not only is there a cost difference, but the iron pipe will cool the compressed air and condense out any moisture.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
Trucknut (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

x2
plus , thugs don't steal iron pipe..
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

If you are going to use iron pipe, be sure to use galvanized pipe. At a former employer, they installed a new air system, all of it in black iron pipe. Inside of about 6 months, the inside of the pipe was already rusting and generating lots of rust that clogged the insides of air tools, etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdupree View Post
If you are going to use iron pipe, be sure to use galvanized pipe. At a former employer, they installed a new air system, all of it in black iron pipe. Inside of about 6 months, the inside of the pipe was already rusting and generating lots of rust that clogged the insides of air tools, etc.
?????????????????????
water filter/drier and a filter.. no rust at all.. installed in 2000 and the inside of pipe is still clean..
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM

dry air is a must no matter your choice of line, but iron is the way to go. 3/4 will get you better air volume.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 PM

Lots of suggestions for black pipe, what if the cost was the same or a little less for the 3/4 copper? I was under the impression that copper transferred the heat just as well as iron pipe to deal with condensation? As for people stealing it, I'm not too worried about that, I have things in my shop that would be worth much more to someone that they could get out faster and more easily; also I have security in place to prevent that sort of thing.. Hopefully
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Another choice is aluminum. The fittings are a little expensive, but for ease of installation and corrosion resistance, it can't be beat. Transair is the brand I used in a couple of commercial buildings.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

how many tools ?

Size would depend on how many tools will be running at once, If you do it your self labor cost wouldn't matter. I took over as facilities manager at a factory and they had 1/2 copper main lines and the first day I could hear the air screwdrivers slow down when 3 or 4 people were working the same time. I always over size , conduit and plumbing systems, cooling water, Air, etc. you need some reserve capacity, If you have to rent a power threader , or make changes later copper is easier,
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Lots of suggestions for black pipe, what if the cost was the same or a little less for the 3/4 copper? I was under the impression that copper transferred the heat just as well as iron pipe to deal with condensation? As for people stealing it, I'm not too worried about that, I have things in my shop that would be worth much more to someone that they could get out faster and more easily; also I have security in place to prevent that sort of thing.. Hopefully
you haven't priced copper in a while..
the roll of romex I bought 5 years ago was 39.00
the other day it was 119.oo for the same roll of copper..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Copper would be cheaper for me based on current prices at my local lowes, $.26 cheaper per 10' length. I also have a plumber friend who is going to give me fittings he has laying around from old jobs. Another pricing issue with black pipe is that a 6' pipe costs $1.95 more than a 10' pipe, I'm not too sure how much rental cost of a pipe threader is.. I could have lowes cut down 10' pipes to exactly what I need but the convenience of being able to easily cut copper to length on site is a plus.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

price it again. there are 2 types of copper pipe..
tell them you are running 150psi in it..
not 10psi cold water
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 AM

There are actually 3 types of copper, and even the lowest grade (Type M) has a working pressure of 326 PSI @ 250F, even if that was the stuff I was going to use it would work. The question was never the rating, durability or strength of the copper but the heat transfer comparison to black iron pipe. My original intent was to use black iron; however after talking with a friend of mine about what he has plumbed shops around here locally with and pricing out the final system with copper being the less expensive solution, I chose copper.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
There are actually 3 types of copper, and even the lowest grade (Type M) has a working pressure of 326 PSI @ 250F, even if that was the stuff I was going to use it would work. The question was never the rating, durability or strength of the copper but the heat transfer comparison to black iron pipe. My original intent was to use black iron; however after talking with a friend of mine about what he has plumbed shops around here locally with and pricing out the final system with copper being the less expensive solution, I chose copper.
good luck..
Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

forgetting one thing..

it really makes no sense to run a larger line then the fitting on the compressor is. if u look for more storage of air then a lg line is ok.. IF u want flow... then make sure the fitting from the compressor is the largest it will take. the smallest part of that line is an "orfice" and u can not flow more air then that part will allow. and thats the ID of any part on that line.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.