Hot Rod Forum banner

What kind of Air Compressor do you have?

• Oil-less less than 10 gal

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Oil-less 10-20 gal

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Oil-less over 30 gal

Votes: 42 14.4%
  • Oiled less than 10 gal

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Oiled 10-20 gal

Votes: 26 8.9%
  • Oiled 30-50 gal

Votes: 40 13.7%
  • Oiled over 50 gal

Votes: 150 51.5%
  • don't know

Votes: 5 1.7%

Air Compressor Types- What do you have?

61K views 135 replies 55 participants last post by  a.r.research 
#1 ·
What Kind of Air compressor do you have in the garage. If you have more than 1, vote for the kind you use the most. I just thought that this might be interesting.:welcome:

#2 ·
Compressors I have:
2 fixed 60 gal tanks in tandem with a single stage 3 piston main compressor and a dual stage 2 piston back up compressor. I only use the back up compressor for sandblasting or when we're running a lot of air for something like body work.
1 mobile 20 gal with the same compressor and motor as my back up compressor.
1 mobile 20 gal with a two piston Swan compressor. (anyone have a flywheel for a swan?)
1 mobile 10 gal with a single stage single. good for pumping up tires and that's it.
1 mobile 10 gal oil less for air brush.
1 huge 2 piston compressor pump. I'm thinking of taking the crappy aluminum pump off the back up tank and putting this monster on it to feed it for sandblasting. I'll probably have to go with a gas engine, because it was originally spun by a 15 Hp electric running on 575 V 3 ph. I only have 240 1 ph. at the shop.

The advice I have for anyone about to buy a compressor is stay away from aluminum. Cast iron is the way to go. The other thing is save your money and buy one bigger than you need it. Otherwise you end up with a collection of compressors you don't really need. IMO a big fixed compressor and a decent sized air pig is all a home hot rodder really needs.

#6 ·
20 gallon cambell hausfeld with 120V 15amp motor and single stage 2 piston compressor motor. its to dam small for my DA sander, i could have goten a 230 volt compressor but the garage isnt wired for it.

princcess auto has a 80 gallon 2 stage 5hp 230volt for $1700(CAD) wich i think i will get one day

#7 ·
montea, that sounds exactly like my compressor! It works okay, but the DA kicks its butt! I am fairly satisfied with it, but would really like something bigger.

Is it possible to find a bigger tank and modify my current set-up to have a larger capacity compressor? Maybe by utilizing an additional tank and regulator?

#8 ·
VWFan said:
montea, that sounds exactly like my compressor! It works okay, but the DA kicks its butt! I am fairly satisfied with it, but would really like something bigger.

Is it possible to find a bigger tank and modify my current set-up to have a larger capacity compressor? Maybe by utilizing an additional tank and regulator?
ya you can add a second tank or get a bigger one and mount the motor and compressor ontop.

i seen in the paper the same compressor i got but no motor or compressor on it, only like 1/6th of the cost of what i paid for my compressor. i think i might find somthing like that till i get enough money for a 80 gallon 2 stage and the garage wired for 230 volt. i think you would just have to run a line from the tank with the compressor on the output to the input ontop of the other and then have the air line hooked up to the output.

#9 ·
I wouldn't touch a used tank w/ a 10' pole unless I knew for sure its history. Tanks can look great on the outside, hold a great coat of paint and be nearly rusted through on the inside. When a pressure tank explodes, it makes the network evening news. If you must go the used route, at least make sure it is an ASME coded tank so you have a fighting chance.

See this.

And this.

And this.

And this.

#10 ·
HOLY SMOKES!!! That's pretty amazing! I've thought about the possibility of an air tank exploding, but I've never seen the aftermath....I will be making sure that the tanks I use are new!

#11 ·
My air comprsssor is a custom job I got from my babysitter's (when I was little) husband when they moved to Georgia. It uses a what I believe a 2-piston compressor off a refridgeration unit, a 1.75HP 1750RPM westinghouse motor, and a speedaire tank. The thing maxes out at 80psi, and is real quiet. Sounds like a old Ford 8N tractor at idle. paputpaputpaputpaput.

#14 ·
Willys36, The first link was a compressor tank, the other were all high pressure vessils that have to withstand perodic inspection and testing. My used tank is an ASTM listed unit with the build plate still attached. I think it was used in an industrial application (200 gallon, duh!) as there was/is some thick oil/grease in the bottom with very little signs if rusting. I'm not sure about the original steel but, judging from the weight, it must be 1/2 inch thick or better.
In your first link, the buyer was a fool for not grabbing a hammer and taking a couple of swings at the bottom. If he'd done so, I'm sure he would have punched right through.
When we use this kind of stuff, we are playing with Big Boy Toys and must take reasonable safety precautions.

#16 · (Edited)
coleman powermate 60 gal single stage 2 piston 7 hp Professional series

keeps up to everything other than a IR DA sander. Mostly used for bodywork stuff lately.

probably should have got a bigger unit or heavy duty as this is probably for moderate use and i'm using it pretty much everyday for 4-10 hours for the last 6 months. Changing the oil every 2 months to hopefully have it last.

#17 ·
Compressor(s)

I have a Hitachi 2.5 hp pancake compressor for air nailer & tire filling. I have a 60 gal Sanborn 5hp single stage compressor in the garage currently. I just scored a 80 gal. horizantal Speedaire compressor with a Champion R15B pump and a new(er) 5hp single phase GE motor with a mag starter. (Monster of a motor) The guy threw in the original Dayton 3 phase 5hp motor as well. I found it sitting with a 4 sale sign in a driveway in a residential section of town. What luck!:thumbup: I also let one go at an auction. 80 Gal Horizontal 5 hp 3 phase for $125. Would have cost another $300-$500 for single phase motor & starter, but still a good deal. Keep your eyes open

#18 ·
Campbell Hausfeld 10 HP Gasoline, Dual piston pump. Service truck model, formerly on my dad's truck now in my garage. Set up with dual regulators for 1/2 inch (blaster) and 1/4 inch (everything else)

Beefy....

It has no trouble running my Sand blaster, and has no duty cycle issues.

#19 ·
Does anyone on here have a 30gal. oil-less Craftsman compressor? I'm seriously thinking about one for my first compressor but not sure about their durability. I guess what I'm wondering is will this thing heat up and fry itself if I put a big air demand on it, i.e. greater than the 6.2 scfm @40psi advertised.

Thanks,

Matt

#20 ·
No one but no one has any good words for any oil less compressor. They are limited to very light, intermittant duty and tend to wear out quickly. Even with the lower cost compressors, it is well worth getting an oil lubed one.
And remember, It is impossible to buy too big of a compressor.

#21 ·
OK, I skimmed a little here. Buy the best you can afford and have the electrical capacity to run. But absolutely stay away from the direct drive oilless ones if you plan to work in the same shop where it is running. The noise those things make will drive you nuts. Spend the extra money and get a belt driven with a cast iron pump. I am looking at a new 5 horse 30 galolon upright at tractor supply for about $385. It is the biggest 120 volt one I can find. I would like a bigger one but don't have the extra money to bring in a bigger service. You might also look in Harbour Freight. They have some decent deals and seliver for free plus you have no sales tax.

#22 ·
Air Compressor

[email]willys36@aol.com[/email] said:
I wouldn't touch a used tank w/ a 10' pole unless I knew for sure its history. Tanks can look great on the outside, hold a great coat of paint and be nearly rusted through on the inside. When a pressure tank explodes, it makes the network evening news. If you must go the used route, at least make sure it is an ASME coded tank so you have a fighting chance.

See this.

And this.

And this.

And this.

:thumbup: YOUR 100% CORRECT !

That's why you should "if you have the option "
to mount your compressor out of the shop working area,
be it new or used.. Also you don't need the noise .

50 gal. vertical Sanborn 7hp. 4 cylinder air compressor,
Mounted in the side addition to the shop.

:thumbup:

#23 ·
If you encounter a used tank, turn it completely upside down and smack it a few times with a body pick or chipping hammer right in the middle along the bottom. If the tank is rusted enough to be dangerous, you'll put big dents in it or go right through. Don't trust one that is not ASME rated even if it looks brand new. It could have been made out of little more than thick tinfoil. The ASME ones have to meet minimum thickness standards.

#26 ·
puma

I was wondering how long you have had your puma and what you thought of the quality. Is it defficient in any area and can it run an angle grinder without having to recharge after 2-3 min? I am trying to compare it with the husky 60 gallon compressors sold at home depot.

thanks for any information you can provide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.