Air Compressor Types- What do you have? - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What kind of Air Compressor do you have?
Oil-less less than 10 gal 6 2.14%
Oil-less 10-20 gal 17 6.07%
Oil-less over 30 gal 41 14.64%
Oiled less than 10 gal 5 1.79%
Oiled 10-20 gal 23 8.21%
Oiled 30-50 gal 39 13.93%
Oiled over 50 gal 144 51.43%
don't know 5 1.79%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 08:25 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I saw the 100 psi , however that was after I had been using the unit , I think the 100 psi spec could be for the plastic sensor line that is taped into the pressure switch. I saw it this way since the compressor had the same type of line connected to the pressure switch that I was good to go ...... so far so good, the wost case would be IMO that the sensor line could burst, more then likely if this case would exist it should have already happened.. just a thought

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 08:32 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

slow to pump up to pressure........ very timely, with all the work you have done looking for the problem , you are going to hate what I am about to suggest....................... check the belt sounds like it is slipping and has just enough grip to not squeal.... this very thing happened to me last weekend , I actually head my compressor slow down and I started to listen to it run and shortly after I notice the slow down I started to hear a squeal at start up, cold weather more then likely cause this part failure to highlight itself........ what a grin
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pepi is right check that belt first then it may be a good idea to check the intake filters, not just a visual inspection you would be surprised at how often a loose belt or restrictive filters cause problems even when they seem ok.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Right now I have a Devilbiss pro air 4000 20 gallon 220 volt with the bogus 5 hp rating but it works ok for small projects like tins on bikes. Where u only need short bursts of air ,but now that I dont have use of my uncles shop for large work I am looking at this one http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172983.htm the CFMs seem to be in line with what I need. I am getting ready to do a 70 455ci Delta 88 conv so needless to say the 20 gallon aint going to cut anymore. All I run are DA's and Hutch straightline and my HVLP guns . Grinding I like my old electric Milwaukee sander /grinder its almost as old as me.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Springer, I have not seen that particular model first hand but I can tell you that the Eaton outfits I have dealt with are just plain TOUGH! Those guys build some fine compressors and you can believe what they say about their power and CFM ratings.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:18 PM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

nissan

I just bought a IR T30 for 300 dollars with a 7 HP. single phase. now I can scrap this noisy oilless craftman. I don't know how to change my vote,but it doesn't matter, it's the compressor that counts.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:53 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

My main compressor is a Compair,vane type 200 cfm deisel driven,no receiver tank,even at idle it runs my air arc and 3/4 and 1" impact wrenches.

I use it for sandblasting as well.

A little overkill for most others tho,I also have a 12 cfm contractors compressor which is very portable for spraying.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Jim, that thing would also be handy for airing up blimps and such.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:00 PM

Last journal entry: I've Changed My Project
Last photo:

Just picked up a Craftsman 60 gallon with a 3.2 horse electric. Would have liked to get a bigger unit but $$$ said I couldn't go that way. Used my little cut off saw on it today. Had to pause once in a while and let it catch up.
Dave
Old 03-13-2006, 09:33 PM

Last journal entry: The 1941 Olds Project
Last photo:

re: Air Compressor Types- What do you have?

I "had" a 2hp Craftsman compressor. It only put out 7 cfm at 90 psi, but I have painted several cars with it. I have had it for over 20 years.It just died yesterday, won't start. So, a good excuse to look for a new one!!!
I am looking for something around $500 with 10-14 cfm at 90 psi. Any ideas??
I'll be looking at all these posts for the best deals.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:59 AM

Last journal entry: I've Changed My Project
Last photo:

That Craftsman I just bought is 10 cfm at 90. Check out air compressors at Sears on line. Bought on line, picked up at store, in store 20 minutes at the most because I used the restroom.
Dave
Old 04-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Cameo
I am looking for something around $500 with 10-14 cfm at 90 psi. Any ideas??
I'll be looking at all these posts for the best deals.
I got this one in the middle of October on sale for $329 shipped. Almost got the Lowes Kobalt 60 gal single stage, same company I think makes them, with a little bit more CFM at $499.

Noticed theyre getting better at the numbers, now they say 3.5 hp on the US General, said 6.5 on mine when I got it. At 15amps, I'm thinking closer to 3hp. 14.4cfm @ 40psi, 12.85 @ 90, 12.35 @ 100

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3848
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Yep they got the HP numbers inline finally but at the same time the rascals started screwing with the CFM numbers! Now it's ACFM ("tank assisted") which is just as much bull%&^# as the phony "peak" HP numbers. Sometimes they just fudge a little by making 10-11 SCFM(actual) look like 13-14 CFM(ACFM) but some are just absolutely ridiculous such as one at Northern Tool a while back that had a two stage pump and 7 1/2 HP but claimed something like 40 CFM!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Yeah, I'm upset about those ACFM numbers. Now I'm worried I wont have enough air to run my Air Gunsa AZ3 HTE HVLP gun, which needs 13.8 cfm with 30 psi at gun inlet. 10-11cfm don't seem enough for that type of gun, worried it also won't atomize correctly without the correct cfm

Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

Danny, With an ACFM ("assisted") rating of 12.35@90 PSI it probably is only 10-10.5 SCFM, about normal for that HP rating and pump design, but that gun is rated at continuous use and with a little planing ahead you should be able to make it work ok, people use this size compressor to paint all the time. I know one fellow that uses his CH 6.5 "peak" (3 1/2 real HP) that is only rated at 10.2@90 PSI for his air hungry Harbor Freight "purple gun" in his shop and I have seen him turn out some really nice work. As he put it "I have some problems with air pressure if I am not careful so before shooting a large panel like a roof I make sure the compressor has just cut off". No doubt about it, running out of air while in the middle of the last coat of clear on a large area and then having to wait a long time for the pressure to come up could be a big problem but with a bit of extra effort this can be avoided.

Last edited by oldred; 04-06-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.